HELP ME MAKE

I need a favor,i want to make child support tax deductible.
You would think that it is but its not,i pay 192.00 every 2 weeks and its hard,i think people like me who pay their support ought to have the choice to claim it even if the person who receives it dont have to claim it.
It would make more people incline to pay the support,knowing they will get rewarded at the end of the year,money wise that is.
it would help people who is struggeling to pay it also,if they make people who get it claim it on their taxes it would probally stop some of the false support claims also if the person getting support has to file it,iam opened eithier way on that.
i sent the irs email asking them to change the law,i sent the governor,senate emails asking,i even sent one to busch,he will never read it i know.please if you would send your senator a line asking to change this,thanks

• Syndicate content
02/04/06 - 10:35 am
you helped make the

you helped make the children, you help support the children. no one gave me anything back for raising my children. paying for your children is called deing a parent, deal with it

Tider
Tider 02/04/06 - 12:00 pm
The way that the amount of

The way that the amount of child support is determined is ludicrous. I paid $165 a week and watched my ex-wife live high on the hog. She bought a new SUV and a new house with the money I sent for child support while I struggled to eat. I ended up in bankruptcy while she laughed all the way to the bank. I automatically assumed that the money I was sending would be tax deductible but to my amazement, it was not. While we were married, I never spent 165$ a week on my daughter. I love her very much and wanted to make sure she had what she needed. But taking everything I had away was not fair but... that is life I suppose. I once handed an employee of mine a check for 22$ who had just worked 60 hours. He looked at me in astonishment. He quietly grabbed his tool box, clocked out and headed out the door. When asked what he was doing, he replied? I can't live on this, I am going to deliver pizza's for a living, they don't know how much I get in tips... but I know it will exceed 22$. I have never seen him again.

02/04/06 - 06:35 pm
when the child turns 18, you

when the child turns 18, you will laugh. Tell him/her, all that money was for food,clothes,college. I did :)

02/05/06 - 07:52 am
The Georgia Legislature just

The Georgia Legislature just passed a resolution to set child support payments up equally between the incomes of both ex-spouses. Mind you, that the only real victim here will be your children.

johnsmith
johnsmith 02/05/06 - 08:51 am
Your child support is

Your child support is deductible. You get to claim the child as a dependent. Now, if you let the other parent claim the child, that's your business. The only deductibility I get for my child (who costs a lot more than $400/month) is the dependent deduction.

02/05/06 - 09:43 pm
It costs more than $165.00

It costs more than $165.00 per week to properly care for a child. Face it, it costs for a car to insure the child gets to a doctor,school, baseball practice, etc.. It costs for food, clothes, shelter, warmth and cool, lights, etc.. The parent with the custody has to bear all those expenses and also has the responsibility of caring for the child the MAJORITY of the time with only an every other weekend break and sometimes on Wednesdays. The noncustodial parent should have to help bear those expenses and shouldnot be able to claim the child on the taxes. The lawmakers would maybe be a little more sympathetic to the noncustodial parents if the majority of them were not deadbeats (Both men and women) looking for a way out of paying and sharing their responsibility and forcing taxpayers to help support their children. Gripe at the nonpayers not your government first, then maybe some relief can come about. They are the reasons you can't catch a break.

hbk459
hbk459 02/06/06 - 06:13 am
i love all my kids and i

i love all my kids and i dont mind paying,i just think that the people who does pay ought to have a tax credit or something,is that so bad.alimony is tax deductible,i dont care if the person getting the support has to file it on their taxes i want the person paying to get a tax break,thats all.

hbk459
hbk459 02/06/06 - 06:17 am
she wont let me claim not

she wont let me claim not one of them not even for half the year,
its bs.i could fight her on it or just claim one of them anyway but with my luck i would get caught and pay twice as much as i got,go to jail,i dont want to go through all of that.
its amazing to see a subject get people very emotional,its an emotional subject i think.i did not mean to offend anyone or get anyone upset.

falconch3
falconch3 02/06/06 - 11:38 am
You head up to DC and start

You head up to DC and start lobbying for the rest of us who have wanted this since.......forever.

02/06/06 - 12:35 pm
Child support is for the

Child support is for the care of the children which it seems no one seems to be concerned with. The custodial parent takes on expenses the non-custodial parent doesn't. Let's take a teenager who is driving. The custodial parent takes on the brunt of raises insurance rates, car repairs, gas money, and a vehicle. What tax deduction does the custodial parent get for all that. The custodial parent is the one who has to pay for all the the little extras, movies with friends, birthday parties, first day of school expenses, buying clothes every time the seasons change.

Give the custodial parent a break because as the non-custodial parent you have it considerably easier than the custodial parent. Be grateful that you have a relationship with children and aren't they worth the sacrifices that you have to make, I know mine are.

PTDefender
PTDefender 02/06/06 - 05:04 pm
What I'd like to see ( and I

What I'd like to see ( and I say this because I paid child support for many years until my children opened their eyes and saw where it was going and decided to live with me)it would wise for BOTH of the parents AND the children involved if there were a fund set up to receive the child support payments AND disburse these funds to proper use. It could be a sort of court appointed type of fund where the non -custodial parent ( A word I leanred while paying child support)would pay in to it, and the custodial parent would have to show just cause to spend these funds and return proof of money spent.

02/06/06 - 10:15 pm
You have the air of a

You have the air of a disgruntled woman, who had several children fathered by some outlaw, who never helped support any of them. A woman who although she never got any support for any of them stayed with him for some years before finally facing the fact that he was a creep.

Unless you had no income you were entitled to a child tax credit. so get off the cry baby BS about nobody ever gave you anything back. That line sounds like reaching out for some praise. Well guess what, You ain't gettin' none. Like you said, deal with it.

If the writer supports his child financially why shouldn't he get the same as you did. I think that's all he's asking for.

I didn't understand him say he resented paying, only that he felt that the one who pays should be entitled to the credit. As things are with the IRS the one who provides the majority of the childs support gets to claim the tax deduction. So, if a woman with custody of a child is making a house payment and a car payment she can claim that 50% of the house payment is for the upkeep of the child and likewise for the automobile when in actuallity the use of the automobile by the child could never be that high and the home is a long term investment that will still belong to the mother after the child has left the nest.

I hope that providing this insight will help soften your position a bit.

02/06/06 - 10:57 pm
What a rediculous

What a rediculous generalization. You need to do some soul searching to see if you can discover what would drive you to publish such unsupportable statements, or why you would be so brazen as to quote non facts as if you knew something no-one else knows. Please read my reply to "You Helped Make The" above.

Everyone with any sense of economics knows that some men pay more than their fair share toward the upkeep of their children. Why should a father buy his children's mother a car to drive to work and to parties or wherever else she pleases. I payed for a childs share of a car for 17 years but he only drove it occasionally for the last 2 years of that time.

The gall gets better when you get to rolling. What king of Femi-nazi Propaganda is the statement that, "The lawmakers would maybe be a little more sympathetic to the noncustodial parents if the majority of them were not deadbeats (Both men and women) looking for a way out of paying and sharing their responsibility and forcing taxpayers to help support their children."

I'm confident that most noncustodial parents are responsible citizens and not deadbeats as you portray them. People like you can't contribute anything useful to a debate of this nature since you are a muckraker and are not willing to stick to facts. Besides, even if you were correct in saying that most are deadbeats, that wouldn't justify penalizing the good parents who pay on time every time.

I bet you're like the writer of "You helped make the" above. You played with fire and got burned and now you're a man hater. Grow up, open your heart and get over trying to punish all mankind for what some bum did to you while you stood by him and let him do it.

If I've pegged you wrong, please accept my appologies. But I know that a bit dog barks loudest, even if it's me, only thing is I was bitten by a different dog.

02/08/06 - 09:49 am
I AGREE WITH YOU TO A POINT;

I AGREE WITH YOU TO A POINT; IF THE CUSTODIAL PARENT DOES NOT WORK, i.e. DEPENDS ON CHILD SUPPORT AS THE SOLE MEANS OF FUNDING, THE NONCUSTODIAL PARENT SHOULD BE ABLE TO CLAIM THE CHILD(ren) AS TAX DEDUCTIONS CONSIDERING HE/SHE IS PROVIDING 100% OF THE FINANCES FOR THE CHILD. THE MAIN POINT I WANT TO MAKE IS STOP USING THE CHILD AS A WEAPON AND A MEAL TICKET. IT TAKES TWO TO MAKE THE CHILD, IT TAKES TWO TO RAISE THE CHILD (TO INCLUDE FINANCIAL SUPPORT). USING YOUR CHILD TO PUNISH YOUR EX (EMOTIONALLY OR FINANCIALLY) WILL AFFECT YOU CHILD MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE. YOU'RE DIVORCED, STOP THE FIGHTING, START PARENTING.

hbk459
hbk459 02/09/06 - 05:37 am
wow, this is an emotional

wow, this is an emotional subject which everyone has valid points,
all i want is to be treated fair,iam not asking to claim the kids,
or take anything away from their mom,all i want is something like this if someone pays over a ceartin amount every year they should be able to claim 1 or 2 percent on their taxes,i pay 292.00 every 2 weeks comes straight out of my paycheck,they wont even take it out before taxes.every situation is different,i dont mind paying my support i have been doing it for over 10 years,i would be happy just to claim a $1,000.00 of my support,just something.
the people who does the right thing ought to be rewarded a littlt then maybe the people who dont do the right thing might be more inclined to do the right thing.there is a few people out there who dont care about their kids,dont pay not a dime on their support,it seems most people thinks all men are like that,well thats wrong.some of us are doing the right thing,we should be rewarded a little.

02/09/06 - 09:08 am
I agree with HB that he

I agree with HB that he should be able to deduct child support on his taxes.

Although I do firmly believe that a parent should pay child support, I also realize that there are many men who are taken advantage of by the ex-wife. I am happily married, so fortunately, I don't have to deal with the child support issue. However, many of my friends are divorced and most of them do not use the child support for the kids. They live high on the hog at the expense of the ex-husband.

Laws need to be revised to make child support go directly into a fund for the child.

HB...I hope you can work things out for your taxes. It's the good men like you who do pay their child support who end up getting screwed in the long run.

hbk459
hbk459 02/10/06 - 09:19 am

thank you,that was the nicest thing that anyone has said about me in a while.we was never married though,i would be happy if when they take it out of my check they dont tax it,like if you make a $1000, and the support is $200 they take the 200 out then tax the 800,that would help a lot of people.iam not trying to change everything but some things pertaining to child support is really one sided,every now and then they are for the payee but very seldom,thats like if you apply for a reduction,it goes up 10% or down 10%,so if you take a chance and apply for a reduction you could be paying more,thats not right,i think people look over the good people who is trying to do the right thing and treat them like the bad people who dont pay support who dont care about the welfare of the kids,i just think the laws ought to be fair.

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 02/17/06 - 05:15 am
$165.00 a week pays for a

$165.00 a week pays for a new house and a new truck? What year was this? A mobile home and a used truck do not constitute "living high on the hog".

Quit complaining folks and be glad you all have a job...and a relationship with your kids. We don't always pick the right people to marry or procreate with...but think of the invaluable lessons everyone is learning....Like keeping it in your pants.

02/17/06 - 11:21 am
I would like to say as a

I would like to say as a custodial parent that it is not cheap growing up and paying for rent or a mortage, car payment, gas, clothes, ect. (you know what I mean). Also as a child who grew up having her father pay child support I understand.
But let me say one thing, even with out a child you would still have to provide those things for your self. If you did not have a child do you really except someone else to pay your expenses for you, no. Now as a wife of a man who has another child we are paying child support on ($680.00 a month for), it ends up getting expensive. When my step son comes over, we have to provide shelter, clothes, food, ect. Not only are we paying the support for him to live with his mother, we are now paying a second time just to have him over. Please don't forget that my husband and I have a child together that is also hurting. As for the child tax credit, the custodial parent by law is giving the credit, since the child lives with them more than 50% of the time. From experience, asking for that child tax credit, the courts could raise the support. For the deadbeats out there, maybe there is a reason for that. Maybe they cannot afford to live off of a 150 pay check everyweek. So they are forced to take a job that pays under the table. As for me, since my husband pays so much in child support, there has been many occasions that we have been unable to afford to even pay for gas to spend time with the child. As for all those custodial parents who claim that they can not afford to do it on their own, then maybe they should give up costody and see what it is like to pay for stuff on their own, like rent and food. See how far they can make it without the constent free money coming in on a weekly, biweekly or monthly basis.

02/17/06 - 08:53 pm
Regarldless if you had a

Regarldless if you had a child you would still pay for those things, correct. In most cases the full time parent chose not to have joint custody. So if you can not do it on your own give the child up to the other parent. Let's make child support resonable.

02/17/06 - 09:03 pm
I agree with lynxRHot there

I agree with lynxRHot there should be some accountablity for child support. I am happily married but my husband has a child with another woman who lives with her grandparents, doesn't pay rent, utilities or any expense for the child. I think that child support should be taken out before taxes and make the custodial parent pay taxes on it at the end of the year. Maybe child support will start going down and more parents will be able to afford a relationship with the child.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/18/06 - 08:16 am
I paid my child support for

I paid my child support for 18 years and was told it would be used for her college education, because they didn't need the money. Now they live in a large home with quite a bit of acreage, and my daughter never recieved a dime of it for her college education..
I always had to buy her clothing when she visited me because what she had was inappropriate, or inadequate. I think it the parent recieving child support should have to account for it somewhere...It wasn't until she turned 18 and I gave my daughter her assistance directly that I saw where she actually benefitted.

Da Voice Inside Your Head
Da Voice Inside Your Head 02/18/06 - 04:03 pm
REMEMBER THE GOLDEN

REMEMBER THE GOLDEN RULE!!!
CHILD SUPPORT: THE SCREWING YOU GET FOR THE SCREWING YOU GOT!

Don't even bother going to court if your female ex spouse violates the custody agreement. In this area women are virtually immune from the law unless they screw up really bad.

What happened to Equal Protection under the law? In the Augusta Judical Circuit its gone the way of the Gooney Bird.

ALL THE JUDGES WANT IS FOR YOU NASTY MEN TO SHUT UP AND PAY YOUR CHILD SUPPORT! PERIOD.IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT'S RIGHT OR WRONG. JUST SHUT UP AND PAY!

Thank God I'm done with that crap and those SOB's at Maximus.

BOB

02/19/06 - 07:27 pm
02/27/06 - 09:27 am
Prove it where it takes so

Prove it where it takes so much to care for a child. You are a bitter person and trying to put it to the fathers. Those bills you would have to pay anyway. Why should the father of the child have to pay for your gas, your lights,etc. That is ridiculous. If the two parents were MATURE adults, it wouldn't even have to go to court anyway. I guess you wouldn't have insurance on your car if you didn't have a child, but the father has to pay for that as well also. Sports are not an necessity, it is a want. You don't buy clothes every week for any child and you have to eat anyway. When the law changes to both parents have to pay equally, are you going to pay your half?

Women uses kids to seek revenge on the father, some need it granted, but some don't. Men try and seek time for their kids, but leave it to women to prevent to visitation out of venegence.

02/27/06 - 09:34 am
I am an woman who raised her

I am an woman who raised her child by herself. Excuse me but your ex is an bitter woman. It only reasonable to claim two kids, if you have more she should let you claim them after all you are paying your money to take care of them. Plus we have enough so-called Mom's selling their kids to other people and not letting the paying fathers claim them. I hope the law changes that theory for the woman raising the kids. Hold your head up, you will smile soon.

02/27/06 - 09:42 am
I agree with you 100%. It

I agree with you 100%. It does not take that much to take care of a child. I bet your child does not even get a new outfit every week. What a shame.

hbk459
hbk459 03/05/06 - 05:20 am
yesterday i was riding down

yesterday i was riding down the road and saw a man on the side of the road with a sign it said
EQUAL RIGHTS FOR FATHERS AND CHILDREN AS MOTHERS GET,that is so true because most judges via for the side of the mother,just because shes the mother thats wrong.

03/08/06 - 11:26 pm
I agree the child support

I agree the child support laws are pro women. I have four children two reside in Denver and two reside here in Texas. I see my kids here in Texas on a regular basis and also fly my kids in Denver here every summer and pay 1,200 a month 14,440 a year for child support, pay for summer daycare while they're here plus send there mom child support even though there here with me and can't claim a tax credit for one of my children. I almost have to way committing tax fraud to avoid paying uncle sam at the end of the year. Fathers who are not deadbeats get shafted. I believe the only way the law is going to change is when a congressman is in my situation.

beatbutnotdead
beatbutnotdead 03/28/07 - 02:44 am
It's obvious that the way

It's obvious that the way child support is collected and distributed is fraudulent and needs to be changed right now.
From extensive reasearch over the years I have
found that if a father has to deal with the county collectors
there is no possible way to keep them from tacking on intrest at the end of the month. By law they (D.A.) are suppose to send the child support out within 2 days after
it's been recieved. On the average it takes anywhere from 30
to a 100 days before it goes out. That means the father gets charged with inttrest. Child Support services draws intrest
on the money in a special bank account and in the mean time
everyone else is sitting around wondering where the money is.
For 16 years my brother never missed a payment nor was he late, yet he had to sue to get a tax return back and the intrest dropped. What we need is a good old fashioned class action suit to help control the crooks and clear the names of those that have been accused of being a dead beat dad. I go to
court in two weeks and hope that whatever the outcome my opinions will in turn help in some way to open the eyes of those who have no clue just how lop sided the court system really is. And as far as the case workers I've had to deal with over the years I can only hope that someday they'll realize how many lives they've destroyed and then go back to
that little dark office and wait like a black widow thats just been sprayed.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...