Hittin' you hard and leaving you hungover

Yes, women do like dating jerks and here's why

I haven’t done much blogging lately and I am sure that the world has been a darker place because of it. It’s not that I don’t like it because honestly I do, but it is hard to find time to write when you have a REAL job that takes up most of your time. And once you fall a few weeks behind it is hard to get back into the swing of things.

That was my situation, until I read this dating column on Yahoo.com. Their She Says vs. He Says pieces offer two different perspective on the issue of women dating jerks. I happen to be in one of my extra bitter modes because of a bad experience with a member of the female species so I felt compelled to read and then bash it. That was my plan but the writers made some valid points so I can’t totally rip the column to shreds.

The fact of the matter is that women date jerks, a lot. It falls under my 99% rule. There are only two things in life that are 100% certain but there are many things that are 90 to 99%. Cats chase mice. Dogs case cats, NBA players date white women. And women date, sleep with and/or marry jerks. I didn’t make those rules I just observe them.

Asking why women date jerks is like asking for the true meaning of life. Everyone has an opinion on it and to be honest, I don’t think there is one correct answer.

In my opinion, jerks have two things going for them that help them get women: mystery and packaging. Individually, they are good weapons. Combine them and you have a dating arsenal that is almost impossible to withstand. Let’s look at each one.

Jerks are mysterious before and after you find out that they are jerks. They are like ninjas; they can mask themselves and blend in so well that you never really know what they are up to. And by the time you find out that they are jerks it is too late, because they have done their damage.

As much as I hate to say this jerks usually have great packaging. They are some combination of tall, muscular, handsome, rich, talented and/or well-endowed. This causes women to miss jerky-like behavior.

If you are a tall basketball player, a buff football player, a rich doctor, a guy that can sing or a guy who is great in bed you have a free “be a jerk” pass. And you know what; it is your right to use it. I would kill for one so I can’t fault you for using yours.

I can’t speak for all nice guys but I have been one all my life and can tell you I’m not really mysterious and my packaging ain’t all that great. You aren’t getting a troubled soul or an enigmatic rebel. You are getting a less than attractive guy that will treat you right. Sorry, but that’s it. Most nice guys (like me) are just that… nice. And that is not what gets noticed. It’s a sad but true fact.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that women all over the world should be falling at my feet because I am admittedly not relationship material. I have enough mental and emotional baggage to fill a C-5 cargo plane. However there are plenty of nice guys out there with no issues and no faults other than being too nice that aren’t getting a second look.

Nice guys go out and are themselves and if a woman comes along, so be it. Jerks go out and target women like a lion hunting a gazelle.

Jason Ryan Dorsey’s statement about nice guys wanting to be jerks is right. I cannot tell you how many times I have tried to be one but it just doesn’t work. I guess you have to be born with a jerk gene. Even when I think I have it down pat it doesn’t work because everyone around knows me as “100 Proof Nice” so they know that “100 Proof Jerk” is just a charade. I honestly think the only way I could pull it off is to move to a new city and start from scratch. And I’ll bet you any amount of money that I would have a date every night.

Trust me ladies jerks don’t just mess up your lives they screw it up for nice guys, too. Since they usually have multiple women they are thinning out the dating pool. When us nice guys are lucky enough to get a woman, we have to be on guard for incoming jerks because you all will leave us in a heartbeat if one approaches. And when the jerk breaks your heart, we will either hear about or be punished for it if we try to date you in the future. Being the nice guy and getting punished for all the crap the jerk you dated before us did to you is no fun.

So why do women date jerks? The same reason people climb mountains and explore the oceans. Because they are there. Jerks mess them up, nice guys clean up the mess, and then they repeat the process.

As long as they exist, women will date them and nice guys will suffer for it.

Email: channing100proof@gmail.com

• Syndicate content
lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 02/25/08 - 01:48 pm
as a "nice guy" myself you

as a "nice guy" myself you are 100% DEAD ON!!!!!!!!

kingcobra
kingcobra 02/25/08 - 04:36 pm
I don't normally respond to

I don't normally respond to these blogs, but ....wow, you hit the nail on the head!

Voluptuously_Auburn
Voluptuously_Auburn 02/25/08 - 04:46 pm
Jerks are exciting to be

Jerks are exciting to be with - they can and do make aa woman feel as if she is the most special person on the face of the planet (as long as she stays in direct line of sight of the jerk). Jerks emit their insecurities onto women (the specie's caretakers)who then feel they can "help" or "change" the jerk into a nice guy. Most nice guys I've met are so darn shy or lack a display of confidence with themselves they are a turn-off to me, a doormat to others.

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 02/25/08 - 04:47 pm
Right On!!!!!!!!! You need

Right On!!!!!!!!! You need to be on Oprah...

Channing 100Proof 02/25/08 - 05:41 pm
Only if she will give me a

Only if she will give me a new vehicle. "100 Proof, to help you deal with your bitterness, I have a special surprise for you. A brand new SUV!!!!" :)

Channing 100Proof 02/25/08 - 05:43 pm
Thanks, I've had plenty of

Thanks, I've had plenty of time to 'research' this issue.

Channing 100Proof 02/25/08 - 05:52 pm
And that is the big problem.

And that is the big problem. A true jerk can't be changed and by the time a woman realizes it, it is it too late. Maybe the nice guys aren't always being shy, maybe there are just playing it cool.

bamagirl1
bamagirl1 02/25/08 - 06:36 pm
I don't care much for this

I don't care much for this observation, being that I am a woman myself. I was raised by a wonderful father, who was a nice guy, and treated my mother like a queen. I dislike it when men place ALL women in the same category.

lord griggs1947
lord griggs1947 02/26/08 - 07:42 am
Voluptuously Auburn, I

Voluptuously Auburn, I am a nice guy; I let women tell me what to do.I love to listen to them. I am cuddly. I am no longer terminally shy.I llike your nickname, so I would like to meet you! Ibmoul, I don't do that!

sousmummi
sousmummi 02/26/08 - 10:31 am
Women - in general - are

Women - in general - are natural "fixers". We have the instinctual ability to feel we can change, mold or fix those men that are less than good (or hazard) in our lives. However - sometimes it takes MANY years for a woman to realize that we did not break the jerks - therefore we can not fix them either. As a woman that was devestated by one jerk in particular - I must say - that that jerk taught me a valuable lesson: appreciate the nice guy. Fast forward to present day - and I can honestly say that I am SO VERY appreciative of my ex being such a major jerk. Had he not had been a jerk - I would not be able to appreciate the nice guy that I have since married.

Channing 100Proof 02/26/08 - 01:29 pm
So, jerks CAN serve a

So, jerks CAN serve a purpose. Who knew? Good to know that you were able to turn that negative into a positive.

Channing 100Proof 02/26/08 - 01:35 pm
It's not all of them. It's

It's not all of them. It's just every woman that I have ever known and/or been interested in. Actually now that I think about, maybe I am the one with the problem. :) Even in my state of heightened bitterness I am willing to admit that there are exceptions to every rule. You are obviously not in the 99% that I mentioned earlier.

spotted_assassin
spotted_assassin 02/27/08 - 12:00 am
I was a nice guy all through

I was a nice guy all through middle school and high school. All it gets you is the infamous "Friendship" tag, and the dreaded, "Awwe, he's sooooo sweet!" line. My advice would be to JUST DON'T GIVE A SH**! Be the [filtered word]HOLE! It's funny to hear how folks alway talk about how nice guys finish last, and that the jerk gets the girl! NEWSFLASH - be the jerk! You already claim that being NICE doesn't work...now time to try something NOT AS NICE! What could it hurt? If she tells you no now, then you're in the same boat as b4. NO HARM NO FOUL! I dare any of you so-called nice guys to be an [filtered word]hole for a week. Just watch attention you'll get from these same women that claimed you were nice.

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 02/28/08 - 05:17 pm
Welcome back, Channing! You

Welcome back, Channing! You were missed.....

Oldfart
Oldfart 03/01/08 - 09:18 pm
If this prattle helps you

If this prattle helps you sleep at night then keep peddling it. You aren't getting what you want from women and you are whining about it. Figure out how to get what you want, or shut your stupid mouth. You are the kind of person who resents people for driving a better car than you. Get over it, get a life, and get in the gym. Get what you want or live with disappointment. Either way. Quit whining. Carla was the prom queen.

Oldfart
Oldfart 03/01/08 - 09:19 pm
If this prattle helps you

Oldfart
Oldfart 03/01/08 - 09:19 pm
If this prattle helps you

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 03/02/08 - 01:14 pm
Well69 stutters.

Well69 stutters.

Channing 100Proof 03/03/08 - 05:55 pm
Ok, I'll give you points for

Ok, I'll give you points for the reference to "The Rock". That is one of my favorite movies. My best sleep aid is crown and coke. :)

Channing 100Proof 03/03/08 - 05:56 pm
Nice to know I still have a

Nice to know I still have a fan club :)

Connor Threlkeld
Connor Threlkeld 03/08/08 - 09:44 pm
Yeah, excellent reference to

Yeah, excellent reference to The Rock, even if you're taking the blog a little too seriously...

squeegeebunny
squeegeebunny 05/05/08 - 08:30 am
Yes, women do like dating

Yes, women do like dating jerks and here's why Posted by Channing-100Proof on February 25, 2008 - 10:59 AM

Chief_Broom
Chief_Broom 01/22/09 - 08:53 am
Women don't like jerks.

Women don't like jerks. Nobody likes jerks. Jerks are jerks. What women like (and was alluded to in the blog) are assertive men. Assertive men are going places in life because they stick their necks out and take chances. "Nice" guys don't take chances. You could substitue scared for nice and not be too far off the mark. A chance by it's very nature implies risk. Risk of failure, risk of rejection, risk of pain. It is that risk that nice guys don't like having to face and so they usually don't do very well with the ladies. Certainly a single nice guy can have a pretty good life. Being single and not in a relationship enables one to spend all of their money on themself. Such guys can have a lot of stuff, and eventually such guys will start attracting female attention, but if such a guy hasn't figured out how to address the need for being assertive with a woman eventually what female attention he does aquire will move on. And so the lament of the nice guy goes on...

officialj
officialj 03/09/09 - 02:02 pm
I would be curious what age

I would be curious what age group is being considered for either gender and if commenters think about age makes a difference? For example do we grow out of these behaviours after experience with them? For how long do some women go for jerks? My additional two cents is that people, at some point, have to reconcile each other to everyday normal life if they're considering each other as long-term partners, and that's often predicates different thinking; different attributes are often sought. Thoughts?

kyri
kyri 10/15/09 - 12:18 pm
Don't shave for a five

Don't shave for a five days...don't shower for two. Make sure you slept in your clothes. Get some nice western cowboy decor for your room, like some Bukaroo sheets, and you're ready to be a real man.  That's certainly helped me with the ladies.

kyri
kyri 10/14/09 - 06:35 pm
You sound a little bitter.

You sound a little bitter. Being a rich jerk myself, I really don't care about your pathetic cries for equality. If you want a woman, you should try being a bit of a jerk to her. Maybe then you'll be able to keep her interested.

ResellerHosting
ResellerHosting 12/16/09 - 11:54 pm
Right On!!!!!!!!! You need

Right On!!!!!!!!! You need to be on Oprah...

vektorel