Hittin' you hard and leaving you hungover

Please shut up about gay marriage

Elections must be around the corner because the gay marriage debate has resurfaced. I guess I am behind on the news. When did we finish the war on terror? How did we catch Osama Bin Laden? Where did we find the money to eliminate or at least reduce the budget deficit? Who reduced the unemployment rate? Where are our troops going now that they have finished up things in Iraq? Obviously all these things are fixed if our "leaders" have time to debate gay marriage.

I am not an expert but last time I checked people are still dying in Iraq. Despite a slight dip in the unemployment rate, I still couldn't get a new job even if I wanted one. The federal deficit is through the roof. Osama is releasing tapes almost as frequently as the guys from Girls Gone Wild. And, I am pretty sure that people still want to blow this country up. With all of this, why in the heck are people arguing about gay marriage?

Gay marriage is not the cause of any of the problems I mentioned above, and until someone can prove otherwise it shouldn't be on our government's radar.

Here is the thing. I don't care if two men or two women want to get married. If they are dumb enough to fall in love and (no offense to my married friends) stupid enough to get married then let them. The divorce rate in this country is still high so maybe this will help bring it down.

People talk about an attack on marriage. They say that the integrity of marriage must be preserved. Do they not watch reality TV? Over the last few years we have had shows like Married by America and The Littlest Groom. That is not exactly lifting up the institution of marriage.

Our government is wasting our time and our money so that they can get reelected. They are only concerned about this because it looks good in their campaign ads. There are too many REAL issues that need to be fixed.

Personally I hate marriage. I despise weddings. And the idea of love makes me sick to my stomach. But I know that for some people, gay and straight, those things are important. They mean something. Who are we to deny it to them?

I'm not gay. Never considered it and even though I have ABSOLUTELY NO luck with women, I never will. It's not how I like to have fun but I am not going to look down on someone else because it's theirs. It is not my place to judge anyone for the moral choices they make. No one else on this Earth has that right either. That's for God or whatever higher power is up there to decide.

On a side note:

A while back I wrote about an issue I had with a female friend named Amber. She called and proceeded to royally tick me off. Well about 2 weeks ago she called to apologize apparently she has been going through a rough patch and decided to take out some of her frustrations on me. All is forgiven but I did remind her that I am the 'good' friend and she might want to start redirecting that anger. I figured since I publicly condemned her I should also publicly exonerate her.

Email: channing100proof@gmail.com

• Syndicate content
JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 06/08/06 - 07:12 am
Excellent blog, Channing! I

Excellent blog, Channing! I am married, but don't have a problem with those who aren't. I share your dislike of weddings. The justice of the peace worked fine for us almost 21 years ago. The whole ceremony plus ice cream and cake costs less than $50 dollars.

Channing, hang in there with the women. You are clearly a misogamist and not a misogynist! If I were the world's benevolent despot I would encourage miscegenation, but that's another topic!

It is good for children to have two parents and if those two parents happen to be gay or lesbian more power to them for wanting to parent. Children are the future, and we should encourage families. We already have many blended families and gay marriage would only add to the mix.

Grandparents also help with child raising, but our corporate culture of "going wherever the job takes us or wherever jobs are available" does not encourage multi-generational households. Children surrounded by loving parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins also adds stability to nuclear families which benefits children. I don't recall corporate Republicans ever mentioning that lack of "family values" in their analysis of current American culture.

You are absolutely right that promoting the Senate debate on the "protection of marriage amendment" is craven political posturing. Bush and the Republicans are playing to the base of the religious right led by the likes of Dr. James Dobson and Focus on the Family. 5000 years of marriage as an institution (as Dobson claims it is) is hardly under assault by a "homosexual agenda" that has developed in the last 40 years. That is an utterly ridiculous, absurd claim.

Bush's hard-core base is composed of Mormons and the religious right which includes the huge block of Southern Baptists. I don't recall that Southern Baptists were in the forefront of the civil rights movement either.

As far as I can tell roughly 10% of the population is gay or lesbian. This percentage holds true throughout history whether homosexuality is tolerated or repressed. God did, in fact, make Adam and Steve!

Neither Channing nor I were ever tempted by the so-called "homosexual agenda". That is because almost all people are born with their sexual identity already determined. It would no more be possible for a homosexual to change their innate sexual identity than it would be for Channing or me to change our heterosexual identity, but don't try to tell that to the religious right who will go to their graves being intolerant and unloving which is about as unChristian as it gets. Ironically fundamentalist Muslims would agree with fundamentalist Christians in suppressing and repressing homosexuals.

Societal evolution is like a turtle crossing a continent. It takes a long time! In twenty or thirty more years gay marriage will be commonplace and unremarkable just like the international polyglot our society has become. Diversity is great!

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 06/08/06 - 03:53 pm
John, I need to take a

John, I need to take a writing class from you. You wax so eliquently. The way I look at it if a person is a homosexual they are a homosexual, whether it's something in genetics or picked up from their surroundings (nature vs. nurture), and they are not going to be "converted" as some would say. I really do not see how homosexuals getting married is going to destroy our country. Some one who is homosexual and has a partner may live with thier partner like boyfriends & girlfrinds will do as well as married couples. One thing is that they can be consolidated like many married couples but they will never get the tax break. People talk about the ban on gay marriage being an issue for the Christian right, and I understand the need for conservative votes in the next election, but what is banning gay marriage going to do to improve our country? It's not going to make homosexuals stop being gay. If the Christian right is the group that wants the ban would that not comprimise our so called seperation of Church and State? As I remember growing up going to school learning about how Europeans came over to America seeking freedoms that they were not alloted in their home lands. America claims that we're the land of the free and that we're all created equal. I think that homosexuals are great! My reasoning: my girlfriend has a male homosexual friend, and now I don't have to tag along shopping with her.

mydtwc
mydtwc 06/08/06 - 07:43 pm
Channing (100 Proof),after

Channing (100 Proof),after reading your post, I really think you need to run for office. I have read a lot of your post and I don't think I remember one that didn't either "HIT THE MARK" or bring some humor to an otherwise humorless day.

And why you wouldn't have any luck with the ladies is beyond me. Maybe it's sort of the female version of Mickey Gilley's old song: I Overlooked An Orchid While Searching For A Rose...

Now go over and tell them what you think about Ann Colter. LOL

Channing 100Proof 06/08/06 - 10:04 pm
Well said John. I have never

Well said John. I have never bought into the whole homosexual agenda thing. The idea of a gay conspiracy to convert people is ludicrous. I seriously doubt that there is a secret network of gays and lesbians plotting to raise a new generation of homosexuals.

I blame Democrats AND Republicans for this waste of time. When one side finds what they believe is the "issue de jour" the other feels the need latch on to it no matter how pointless it is.

As far as weddings go, I haven't been to one since middle school and I hope to keep that streak alive. In my opinion, the only difference between a wedding and a funeral is the music.

Email: channing100proof@gmail.com

Channing 100Proof 06/08/06 - 10:24 pm
I appreciate the comment,

I appreciate the comment, mydtwc.

I must admit, "President Channing" has a nice ring to it but I don't think I am ready for politics. I still have some morals and I am not a convincing liar.

By the way, I listened to the song you mentioned, I Overlooked An Orchid, and it brought back some bad memories. I let a great one get away back in 99 and I still haven't forgotten about her. I think I am going to add this song to my collection to keep me from making the same mistake twice.

Email: channing100proof@gmail.com

06/11/06 - 08:33 am
I personally feel that gays

I personally feel that gays should have the same rights (tax breaks, etc..) as straight couples. I am happily married with children as many others and thats my forte' but if one gay makes another gay happy and feel special, who is our government or anyone else to say they can't be married. I grew up Baptist, but I also grew up believing that the church and state should be separated and until that TRULY happens, there will be no gay marriages. If the government focused more on thier personal abuse of hard working taxpayers money and why so many older americans are dying because of lack of ac, medicines, health care, food, etc.. and less on why gays shouldn't be married our deficet(I am sure I mispelled that) would be less and more needy people would be taken care of. I support Gay marriages, let them marry, it's more money in the hands of divorce attorneys and the civil court process. I know thats harsh but let's face it, whether the government allows it or not, gays are out there and they are God's children as well and the government nor the Rev's are going to change them.