Hittin' you hard and leaving you hungover

Another reason I don't go to church

A while back I wrote about religion and religious leaders like Pat Robertson. In a nutshell I said that hypocrites like Robertson are one of the main reasons that I do not go to church. If you missed it, I encourage you to go back and read it. The responses are actually pretty good.

Well now I have another log to put on the "Why I don't go to church fire", the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights. This group decided to take on Comedy Central after the network aired an episode of South Park that made fun of a church icon.

The episode in question was titled "Bloody Mary," and featured what was thought to be an anally bleeding a statue of the Virgin Mary. People from all around came to the statue to be healed by this 'miracle'. At least it was a miracle until the pope arrived and claimed that the statue was menstruating and therefore the blood was not a miracle.

The Catholic League was upset that someone would make fun of one of their icons and demanded that Viacom apologize, remove the episode from the air and not release it on DVD. Perhaps they would like complete creative control of the show and a sandwich also?

Hate it or love it, South Park makes fun of everything and everybody. Blacks, whites, heterosexuals, homosexuals, metorsexuals, bisexuals, upper class, middle class, dirt poor, Americans, Mexicans, Africans, Afghans, Wal-Mart, George Bush, Bill Clinton, J.Lo, Tom Cruise, R. Kelly, Michael Jackson, David Blaine, Rosie O'Donnell and many others have felt the wrath of Matt Stone and Trey Parker. There are no sacred cows on this show (that's what makes it great). So what makes this group of Catholics think they are so special that they are above being satirized?

The bad part is that they may have succeeded, at least partially. The episode was absent from a South Park Season 9 marathon that ran in December. They even received an apology from Viacom Board member Joseph Califano Jr, who the group calls a "practicing Catholic".

So I guess the NAACP can have the Michael Jackson episode removed, Paris Hilton can sue to have the episode featuring her taken out of rotation and Wal-Mart can threaten to stop advertising on Viacom channels until the show that makes fun of them it eliminated. At this rate South Park will only be able to make fun of non-Christian, poor people (also known as 'me').

The Catholic League has a right to exist. I don't think that they need to but it's their right to. The way they tell it they are no different than the ACLU, NOW or the NAACP. According to their website, they are around to make sure that Catholics can "participate in American public life without defamation or discrimination". Newsflash, Catholics in America don't need protecting, they damn near run this county. They are one of the main reasons Bush got reelected in my opinion.

The funniest thing is that this organization claims to be "Motivated by the letter and the spirit of the First Amendment." Apparently this amendment only applies to them (I must have missed the memo). This is just a guess, but I think these people wouldn't know what the First Amendment meant if you slapped them in the face with the Constitution. Someone needs to let them know that it applies to EVERYONE.

It truly scares me that a group might have this kind of power. Imagine a religious group that can determine what we can watch, what we can do and when we can do it. It's not a pretty thought but we are slowly heading in that direction.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe it would be great to live in a world where the church can tell us what to do, when to do it, how it should be done. They can run our schools, our government, even our judicial system. After all, the church does have a great track record when they have absolute power. Anyone ever hear of the Spanish Inquisition or the Salem Witch Trials?

Think about that while I am gone. I have to go and book my ticket to Hell.

Email: channing100proof@gmail.com

• Syndicate content
01/17/06 - 10:40 am
isn't it great that people

isn't it great that people have the right to go or not go to church and go to hell or heaven. ever since religion and God is being put out of everything morals have gone down and crime has risen and kids shooting up schools. so go read your book and go to hell and leave us alone.you also don't have to read the Bible.

batya
batya 01/17/06 - 01:58 pm
How can you compare Michael

How can you compare Michael Jackson, Paris Hilton or Walmart to Christianity? I am not of the Catholic denomination and do not agree with alot of their doctrine, but Catholicism is their LIFE. I am a christian and my life is based on Christian values and what I believe to be true.

I would also not condone joking about Islam, Buddhism or any other religion, even though I don't believe them to be the truth. That is their LIFE.

It is a respect issue. Religion is a very serious subject and should not be joked about. Would you make fun of someone that had cancer? I would hope not. Cancer is serious and personal to individuals.

01/17/06 - 10:07 pm
I, for one, have to take up

I, for one, have to take up for this guy. How can no one else be upset that the First Amendment rights of one person (albeit Trey and Matt are tasteless at times) are being placed over another?

You don't have to agree with him, but you have to recognize an injustice when you see it.

Also, telling someone to "go to Hell" is not nice. What kind of a Christian example are you setting? If that were the way all the people at my church acted when I voiced a concern, I wouldn't go there either.

Finally, no, cancer is almost never funny.

Phish
Phish 01/17/06 - 10:16 pm
I just want to let you in on

I just want to let you in on something: there is not a church anywhere in this world under any denomination that will get you any closer to heaven. secondly, there is no book you need to read to send you to hell.so, where does that leave you? in the same condition as micheal jackson paris hilton the producers of south park all the catholics and me "all have sinned and come short of the glory of GOD" "the wages of sin is death but the gift of GOD is eternal life through his son JESUS CHRIST" what you believe or disbelieve does not change the truth.you were born a sinner already bound for a devil's hell and the only thing you can do to prevent eternal wailing and gnashing of teeth "you must be born again"

01/17/06 - 10:22 pm
In response to

In response to philipg:

Jesus loves you, but you need to chill out. You can't force J.C. on anyone. You can't scare them, intimidate them, or threaten them. Love is the answer friend, not the "eternal wailing and gnashing of teeth."

01/18/06 - 11:46 am
The First Ammendment was not

The First Ammendment was not designed to slander others and to be able to say any ugly thing that runs accross your mind. That show is vulgar and should be taken off the air. I am really sick of people in this country that try to live a moral life (that has become the unfavorable thing to be lately)are now underattack. I want to know when and why it has become socially acceptable to talk and act as vulgar as you possible can, and expect the rest of us to have to endure it. We do live in a free country and that is a good thing. The difference now is that people before have some common sense and respect for other's around them. The whole problem is that show is totally disrespectful to everyone. It is really sick that people find the disrespect of others as entertaining.

01/18/06 - 10:03 pm
Frankly.... if you are that

Frankly.... if you are that nuts about it than maybe you need to GET A LIFE.... if more people spent time outside reveling in the beauty that the divine has created and less time in a church listening to some puffed up preacher we'd all be much better off.

Channing 100Proof 01/18/06 - 10:51 pm
Pshandpdh, I don't think the

Pshandpdh, I don't think the problem is with people that live a moral life.

I have no problem with religious people. I know a couple of 'moral' people and we all get along. They don't tell me how to be a saint and I don't tell them how to be a sinner. They put up with me even though I commit at least two of the Seven Deadly Sins on daily basis. I put up with them even though their idea of fun is A LOT different from mine. We respect each other's views and don't try to change them.

The problem is with those try to push their morals on everyone else. The problem is with 'holier than thou' people that think they are better than everyone else, are above criticism or that their way is the only way. I have an issue with people like that, religious or not.

And you are right, 'South Park' can be vulgar at times and it is definitely not for everyone but if people don't like it they can always change the channel.

Email: channing100proof@gmail.com

01/20/06 - 10:57 am
I just want to say on behalf

I just want to say on behalf of God and church that I love God with all of my heart and I grew up in church. When I got older and got into the world I very quickly got addicted to cocain and Meth.I loved the party life too much. All during that time people in my church who loved me would call me or visit me to try to help me get my life straightened out , call it noisy if you want I call it love.Bottom line when I woke up with a bloody nose and my life a wreck I ran back to church. God and my church were waiting with open arms. My addiction was changed at the altar and my life has never been the same. I am addicted to God for he is my Savior and my church Bible Deliverance Temple is my home.We believe in Salvation and Restoration and Deliverance. I AM LIVING PROOF OF ALL OF THE ABOVE.

jdcooper
jdcooper 01/20/06 - 12:51 pm
Great Blog Channing! I agree

Great Blog Channing!

I agree with you 100%! I love watching South Park and will continue doing so!

FedupwithAUG
FedupwithAUG 01/20/06 - 05:22 pm
The church was created to

The church was created to control the the people so a few could control the world. I guess it's still in effect in this case.
It's a shame the people at south park have to delete an episode, but hey business is business. They are out to make money like any business. It's good to hear stories which happen that most people wont ever hear about ... the chuch got their way and poof the episode is gone.. Thank GOD! for the internet.
as far as the post from lisabrhodes (http://blogs.augusta.com/user/2598) above the problems with kids today are the parents. They dont teach them respect for others!
They expect the teachers to do this for them. I say give the teachers back the ruler and take care of these brats once and for all.

myusername
myusername 01/20/06 - 05:43 pm
It's sad that you allow your

It's sad that you allow your relationship with God to be dictated by the likes of Pat Robertson and the Catholic League.

batya
batya 01/20/06 - 07:15 pm
cpbypass : You are obviously

cpbypass :
You are obviously not a parent trying to raise a child in todays times (especially teens as mine are). I do teach my children to respect, but I have to deal with the media teaching them it is cool or funny to disrespect- such as the show SOUTH PARK. The problem with the kids today is what is allowed on the radios, television shows, newspapers, commercials and even the news and schools. You probably say why don't I just control what they look at? If I shielded everything I felt is immoral from my kids, I would have to lock them up in their rooms with nothing but a bed and bible never to see the light of day again.

01/21/06 - 02:59 pm
EXCELLENT BLOG! I am a

EXCELLENT BLOG!

I am a church going woman, who is also an educator. I feel that people need to learn the difference between perception and reality. Parents will not be able to shield their children from all of the "going ons" in the world, but all they can do is hope and pray (prayer for those of you who believe in it)that they have taught their children the difference between right and wrong, fiction and reality. TV, radio, movies, media, and peers should not dictate what people do and how they think. Also, people should learn how to "turn the other cheek". All of us "Church Goers" learn that in are early days in the church. As a matter of that, every American, regardless of race, learned that growing up in the American Public and Private school systems. I wrote all of this to say that WE, PEOPLE OF FAITH, cannot fight or condemn people to hell for not agreeing with what we believe.
The 1st Amendment was written allowing people freedom to express themselves WITHOUT REPERCUSSIONS. So, who gives everybody the opportunity to express themselves - The law of our land. And that is the reason why all of us are allowed to respond to this excellent blog, without having to sensor ourselves, prooving that the media does not control how we think.

01/22/06 - 04:09 pm
It amazes me how many words

It amazes me how many words a liberal, religion-hating person has to use in order to attempt to make their point.

Channing 100Proof 01/22/06 - 07:43 pm
I found this while surfing

I found this while surfing the Net yesterday. If this is true, we have someone else that needs to learn about the First Amendment.

"Tom Cruise has reportedly stopped an episode of South Park that mocks him from being aired in Britain. The show, in which Nicole Kidman and Cruise's fellow Scientologist John Travolta are depicted attempting to coax an animated version of the actor out of a closet caused controversy when broadcast in the US. The cartoon Kidman tells Cruise, "Don't you think this has gone on long enough? It's time for you to come out of the closet. You're not fooling anyone." - referring to allegations about Cruise's sexuality. ..." Full Story

This alleged action is no different from what I talked about earlier. He needs to learn about the First Amendment also.

Email: channing100proof@gmail.com

jdcooper
jdcooper 01/23/06 - 05:58 pm
RE: cpbypass You obviously

RE: cpbypass

You obviously didn't get the point! YOU shouldn't be letting your child be tended to by "the media" and take some responsibility in raising your own child. I get tired of everyone blaming the media, whether it's news, sitcoms, SOAPS, or bible thumping. It's YOUR child... and YOUR responsibility.

And by the way... South Park is for MATURE audiences! It's not a standard cartoon... that's what the cartoon channel is for!.. maybe you should monitor what your kids are watching!!!

batya
batya 01/23/06 - 10:05 pm
Re:jdcooper I beg to differ

Re:jdcooper

I beg to differ as to what is considered a "mature" audience. Mature has nothing to do with physical age, it has to do with the mind. If that is mature- I will stay a child forever.

I do monitor what my children watch, as much as I can. What they see when they go to other children's homes is out of my control. Also, my children are teenagers. I can't keep a reign on them all the time. They have to learn how to make choices on their own to prepare for adulthood. I have taught them christian values at home, but I can't turn on the TV without seeing a commercial that is disgusting anymore. Just look at the new "Axe" body cologne commercials on the air now. They are disgusting! I can't control what commercials come on the TV when we are watching "Andy Griffith" or "Little House On the Prairie"- which I consider to be safe shows.

So, I guess what you are saying then is I have to get rid on my TV and radio and lock them up in there rooms. I can't even go down the road without seeing an offensive billboard. If you don't have kids- you don't understand what we parents of teens are up against. You have to be in our shoes before you give parenting advice.

By the way- I had to call a cable company a while back because they were airing a "Hooters" commercial on Nickalodean in the early afternoon.

Yes, everyone has been given the blessing of the 1st ammendment. Yes the immoral people have that right as much as the christians do. Just as you have the right to look at and listen to immoral, disgusting things, we moral people have the right to be able to turn on our TV or drive down the road without looking at or hearing the disgusting things. So, how do we solve this problem? It seems to me, if you look around, the moral people are losing their rights and we are put down for voicing our opinions when we have just as much right to as everyone else. So, again I ask, how do we solve this problem?

Let me ask a question to those who are NOT christians or moral-conscience people: Are you offended if the sex, cursing or religious bashing are NOT there? I don't think I have ever seen anyone say "That TV show offended me because it had no adultery or constant cursing"

RE:Youaintme- You should research the MANY surveys that have been done that test how much influence the media has on kids today. It is astounding!

"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:10

Persecute away- I will be more blessed because of it.

01/25/06 - 08:32 am
For a person with such

For a person with such strong conviction, you sure are weak minded. Why are you letting others decide your eternity? When you compare yourself to other people, even "religious” people, you will find you have much in common. The one thing we all have in common is sin. There is no person that can push you to a relationship with Jesus Christ. There is only one way that can happen. When we sin the Holy Spirit convicts you of your sin. Then you have a choice. You will respond to that conviction, repent and ask Jesus to take control of your life, or you will walk away. Quit letting other people determine if you “go to church”. It is not about church or religion. When you say it is your “right” to say this thing, where do you think that comes from? God gave us freewill to accept Jesus’ substitutionary death to cover our payment for our sin or to reject it. Don’t use others as a reason. Read the Gospel of John, think about what it says and make your choice. Man has a problem, God has a plan, and the choice is up to YOU.

01/25/06 - 08:55 am
drevusa, I was begining to

drevusa, I was begining to think that no one was going to come up with the truth and then God provided as He always does. Thank you for your inspired comments. You guys need to take heed and allow God to fill your need. You have listened to the deciever long enough. Listen to the truth before it is too late.

batya
batya 01/26/06 - 04:35 pm
drevusa- Very well put!

drevusa-

Very well put!

batya
batya 01/26/06 - 04:39 pm
BTW christimeharrison: I

BTW christimeharrison:

I agree that telling someone to go to hell is not nice and we don't have the right to judge whether someone is going to heaven or hell, only God does. But, the writer of this blog needs to know that he has a choice to make: heaven or hell; Christ or the world. God has commanded us to let everyone know this.

01/30/06 - 12:23 am
BRAVO, Channing-100proof!!

BRAVO, Channing-100proof!! EXCELLENT BLOG!!

I stumbled across this blog tonight quite by accident, but it's so nice to know I'm not the last sane person in America.
Someone once said "YOUR rights end where MY nose begins." That pretty much sums it up to me. Got a problem with SouthPark? Change the channel...it's why God helped us invent remote controls. And remember, before you reply:

God Don't Like Ugly!

02/04/06 - 06:49 pm
Jesus love all of us in

Jesus love all of us in spite of....I wish i knew what i know now. No preacher or pastor can get you in heaven,only faith can,we all need the lord through good and bad times,just dobnt give satan no reward and you believe in the lords word and he will save your souls.

Smith case referred to Attorney General's office

A state probe into allegations former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith moonlighted for a hospitality company while drawing his Georgia State Patrol salary will be reviewed by the state attorney ...