Hittin' you hard and leaving you hungover

Sex, lies and high school

Now that I am getting the hang of blogging, it seems like I won't be able to do it anymore. I found out that I committed a crime and now I need to turn myself in to the authorities. Apparently, if you are under the age of 16 and have consensual sex you can be charged with the offense of fornication. Even though I am now well past 16, I feel that I should be punished for this crime so I will report to the County Jail tomorrow. I found out about this seldom used law after reading about several Greenbrier High students that were allegedly involved in some sexual indiscretions.

It all started when two students/football players were charged with rape and aggravated child molestation. Later on, more teens, including the young ladies that were originally listed as victims, were charged with fornication. All told, the charges range from rape to contributing to the delinquency of minors but they all have on thing in common, they are overkill.

Teenagers have sex. It's a simple fact of life. Maybe they do it for the wrong reasons and maybe they don't totally understand the consequences, but they do it. This was a group of kids who got together and did what a lot of kids would do in that situation. I'm not saying it's right and I'm not saying it's wrong but it's what happens. With the exception of the underage drinking, this is a moral issue not a legal one.

It sounds like these kids were at a party or some type of get together. The students involved were all between the ages of 14 and 17 and presumably attended the same school. Alcohol was consumed, inhibitions were lowered and next thing you know a smaller version of the Minnesota Viking's sex party broke out (Someone should see if Fred Smoot went to Greenbrier High). This kind of stuff has been going on for years. It actually sounds like a scene from Porky's. (For all you youngsters out, this was our version of American Pie.)

These kids could have their lives ruined because they did something that most people don't think they should have done. Was what they did stupid? Probably. Was it illegal? According to some badly written laws, yes. Do they need to go to jail for it? No.

The rape charges against the three boys are quite possibly the dumbest part in all of this. Statuary rape laws are there to protect kids from old perverts. They are not in place to punish high school juniors and seniors who have sex with high school sophomores and freshman. They are not there so parents can punish boys that ruin their dream of a pure and pristine daughter.

Before I go any further let me say that if officials find out that the young ladies were raped then they should lock the boys up and throw away the key. I despise rapists and think they should be castrated and locked up with the biggest burliest man in the jail house. Forget about rehab, if you scar someone for life then you should be scarred for life. With that being said…this situation does not appear to be rape.

Let the parents punish these kids and let them learn from their own mistakes. Stop wasting time and let these kids go back to living their lives.

• Syndicate content
Harriette 10/25/05 - 02:03 pm
Touche`. UNBELIEVEABLE on

Touche`. UNBELIEVEABLE on the state misdemeanor. My comments have nothing to do with my moral beliefs ~ I knew there "certain laws" pertaining to "extended arenas" of sexual conduct, but I am speechless w/regard to the "plain act of sex" law.....government never ceases to amaze me!

Harriette Jacobs
South of the Gnat Line

10/25/05 - 04:03 pm
It seems to me that we have

It seems to me that we have a re-birth of the Marcus Dixon case happening here in Augusta!

In case folks have forgotten, Marcus was the teen from Floyd Co., GA who in 2003 was convicted on child molestation charges for having consensual sex with a classmate.

BTW, this was the first time in Georgia's history that a high school teen was prosecuted for a felony for having consensual sex with a classmate.

In May 2004 the Georgia Supreme Court made the decision to set him free. Now, Marcus lives with his family in Rome, Georgia.

Does the case in Augusta ring with a certain familiarity? It does to me!

10/25/05 - 04:30 pm
I have served my country for

I have served my country for 21 years and everyday something new happens that amazes me and I have to ask myself why? It seems as though we're still living in the past. I wonder if these boys had sex with African-American high school girls would this even be an issue? This is not a felon nor a crime if it was then every girl that get's pregnant while in high school should be taken to court and convicted. All the facts have not been revealed, but if these kids had consensual sex then let it be and let's go catch some real criminals. If it was rape then why were the other girls charged with fornication, aren't they the victims? I'm also a SAVI (Sexual Assault Victim Intervention Counselor) and I've heard nothing that constitues rape yet. What it seems like to me that one of the girls parents found out what her daughter had been doing and oh Lord not my baby. Why would you want to destroy these kids life to save your daughters purity. Well you're a little to late, let's make this into something positive and a educational thing instead of hatred and evil. May God Bless Our Future, because we need someone to step in and make their future better and change those old laws to protect race mixing.

10/25/05 - 06:50 pm
Why bring race into it? It

Why bring race into it? It doesn't matter if it's an African American, Asian, Caucasian, Islamic, whatever. I am sure the same rules do apply regardless what you think. It wasn't long ago I attended highschool. We all did it, regardless of what the goody. goodies say and to be quite honest, had it been a politician's son or daughter it would never have made the news. Someone would have paid some other parent off and we would be no less the wiser. The point is parents, if you don't want your children in these situations, then lock their doors and put them in thier prisons at home or the better idea would be TEACH them better. Inflict consiciences at home so that the local government doesn't have to. I do feel it's overkill, but the parents are the ones who press these issues and to be quite honest, they should have pressed them way before now at home and they wouldn't have the law involved now.

10/25/05 - 07:47 pm
What is the limit to law

What is the limit to law when it comes to kids being kids? Love is something that can only come form own exposure. I was an underage sexual active person and it had never occured to me that I was committing some kind of crime. The young man that I was sexually involved with later became my husband and the father to my 3 beautiful children. Is that a crime to? The situation that has happened is nothing but a cycle for learning how to become responsible and it should be left up to the parents to do the teaching not the law. Law enforcement need to learn how to solve crimes not create them.Please voice your opinions to the Supreme Court of the U.S. Public Information Office at (202)479-3211. Let justice prevail for our children.

10/25/05 - 08:44 pm
2002 graduate of Harlem High

2002 graduate of Harlem High and I completely agree with the author of the article. The parents should have handled this situation because it is obviously not a case of rape.

10/25/05 - 09:43 pm
I've followed this story

I've followed this story since the news got a hold of it. As with any investigation, readers have no choice but to rely on the information provided by the media; however, many comments convey the notion that what happened was a teenaged thing, bad choices for those involved, and over-reactions by legal authorities.

The issue I have is that as readers, we should use caution in making assumptions! I am not an expert in rape issues, but it's my understanding that there is sometimes a status difference--such as a way popular seinior football player and a freshman, just learning the ropes of high school. People should not just assume that everything was consentual, that it only became a big deal because a parent found out, or that the big issue is more of a racial concern. My opinion is that anyone who forces sex on someone is a lowlife. The only thing that puzzles me is that I don't see how one person can be charged with "rape" and the person supposedly raped is charged with "fornication". Am I missing some part of the picture?

Lakeside95 10/25/05 - 11:59 pm
Kudos on your opinion. There

Kudos on your opinion.

There can be no rape when the 'victim' is charged with fornication. By charging a 'victim' with fornication, the court is decriminilizing the rape.

If there was a rape.

I agree, if these boys were white, lived in West Lake and went to Lakeside there would be no charge. I know, because this same kind of party went on at Lakeside. There were no cops involved, the girls were there of their own accord, and the only effects of the night were whispers during homeroom the next Monday.

If there is a fund to contribute to for these boys' defense, let us know.

fedupcitizen
fedupcitizen 10/26/05 - 08:43 am
This situation is the most

This situation is the most outrageous thing I've ever heard of. I have a 25 year old son, a 19 year old son, a 16 year old daughter and a 15 year old daughter. I have preached sermons on responsibility, respectibility and good old common sense, but let's face the facts. At a certain age hormones kick in and common sense goes out the window. Being a parent and knowing this I've also provided protection for my kids and told them if you're going to have sex at least be careful. It makes me angry to hear that some young man has been charged with rape or statutory rape when the girl was a willing participant. Many years ago I knew of a young man who spent a year in prison for statutory rape even though the young lady stood up in court and admitted it was consential sex, because the father was pushing for it. Maybe if he had been the father he should have been his little girl wouldn't have been so promiscuious. I don't agree with pre-marital sex and I don't condon what these kids did and I also feel that morals don't exist anymore, but filing these charges is just plain stupid.

10/26/05 - 02:55 pm
My question concerning your

My question concerning your response is this: I haven't heard any details given about who the underaged kids are, and rightfully so. How do we know their race? Has that been made public? It is possible I missed an article in the paper or a news report but I haven't heard this information.

head
head 10/27/05 - 05:56 am
I agree with what this

I agree with what this writer is saying. I'm sure that we all at the age of sixteen did some of these things. Why ruin these young men life because your daugther is not pure as you would want her to be or think that she is. These young men did what most young men their age do. High school students have sex with each other. Now if you teach your daugther(s) how to act when you're not around, then we wont have incidences like this. Is this an act of racism because the young men were black and the girls were white? What if this was reversed? People spend time with your kids, teach them whats right or wrong, talk to them. All of these people involed are children so why are we blowing this thing out of the water. I can understand had these been grown men with these girls but these are just kids themselfs. So what these parents need to do is whip these kids behind for not thinking about their actions. Now that you know that your kids are having sex, I at least hope that you will talk to them about having safe sex.

10/27/05 - 07:14 am
Simply put, it is this;laws

Simply put, it is this;laws are in place,and need to be enforced.
Quickly jumping to the race card is unfair but also predictable.
These girls thought the boys were "all that", and the boys wanted some action.They are by definition too stupid to grasp the consequences and chaos arising from this activity.They need to learn early behavior does not exist in a vacuum.I am dismayed that people are all to willing to accept Animal Planet behaviors and social mores.The parents are seeking justice,and hats off to Danny Craig and Judge Flanagan for helping us maintain standards.Let me
splain' it to you again Lucy, ITS THE LAW!

10/27/05 - 11:58 am
In that case "galeas" let's

In that case "galeas" let's put every male(16 or 17yrs old) & female(14 or 15yrs old) in jail for having consensual sex. These kids don't deserve to be prosecuted by the law for this. Danny & the judge need to be spending more time prosecuting real criminals, committing real crimes and working more on unsolved cases. I'm not saying what these kids did was right, but foolishness is bound in the heart of a child. Let their parents deal with this situation. Now if it was rape, indeed the law needs to be adhered to, but this is not the case. These kids have futures why ruin it & spend tax payers money on this. I could see it if the boys were trouble makers, but they have the potential to go to college and be assets to society.

10/27/05 - 01:50 pm
The law may be the law but

The law may be the law but it should be consistent for every teenage involved! How can you charge the boys with rape and assault and the girls with fornication?! Rape and assault are very serious charges!! Fornication is a misdemeanor, punishable at best, with community service. EVERYBODY looking at this from a common sense perspective can plainly see that it's wrong! If the parents want to press charges then fine! All of the teenagers involved should have been charged with fornication including their own daughter and all of them should have been carted off the jail if they chose to go that route. The “race card” as some of you are referring to is “being played” because the charges are not fair across the board. If rape actually occurred, that’s a different story. All of the parents of these CHILDREN should be the people resolving this situation, not the police or the courts. Another big deal being made about this case are the ages of those involved; 14, 15,16 and 17 year olds...sounds like children to me, not adults! Parents need to face reality, high-schoolers are going to date each other and in some cases have sexual relationships. It happened when they were in high school so why is everyone so surprised?! Fornication is a moral law not a criminal law. The fact that it is actual criminal law is absurd, because no actual crime is being committed. The law itself states, “An unmarried person commits the offense of fornication when he voluntarily has sexual intercourse with another person and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished as for a misdemeanor.” If the girls voluntarily have sex with the boys, how is that rape or sexual assault? Voluntarily, doesn’t sound like rape or assault to me. Laws are put into place to protect people from hurting other people. If two individuals voluntarily have sex with each other, who’s getting hurt? Is that a criminal act? Sure it’s immoral but criminal? Not even close! I do not criticize the parents for wanting their children to wait until marriage to have sex, what I am critical of is the way they are handling this so publicly by involving the police and the courts. If no rape actually occurred this should be handled privately by the girls’ parents and the boy’s parents, individually or collective if the parents choose to do so...not out in public.
BUT A RAPE OR ASSAULT COULD NOT HAVE OCCURRED IF THE GIRLS ARE BEING CHARGED WITH FORNICATION BECAUSE BY DEFINITION FORNICATION MEANS “VOLUNTARY SEXUAL INTERCOURSE.” IT COULD NOT HAVE BEEN RAPE OR SEXUAL ASSAULT IF IT WAS VOLUNTARY SEX!!!!!!!!
To the parents choosing to pursue this legally; what are you trying to gain if no rape actually occurred? You are openly displaying your daughter as a fornicator (that’s what the law says, not me) and are looking to punish someone else children because of something your daughter chose to do. The children are the ones who are suffering though this as their parents and other adults humiliate themselves and their kids by dragging this to court when there are REAL CRIMINALS out there committing real criminal acts. The parents are putting themselves up for open public discussion because that can’t control their kid’s behavior. This case should be thrown out of court because it’s waste of time and taxpayer’s money, UNLESS A RAPE ACTUALLY OCCURRED. What kind of message is this sending to the children involved and all children? Don’t have pre-marital sex? No, because we all know that’s going to continue to happen with some teenagers. What it IS saying is, “Don’t let your parents or any other adults find out about it because you will be labeled a fornicator by society or you may go to jail for rape or assault or fornication.” Is that the message we really want to send to our children; to not talk to us as parents to about sexual relationships they may be having? I said all of that to say this: I am a parent. I have a son. I think pre-martial sex is morally wrong. I hope that my son chooses to wait until he is married to have sex but if he doesn’t I want him to know that he can come to me, to talk about it and not be judged. All of you parents and kids out there should want the same thing.

10/27/05 - 02:53 pm
stop letting teenagers have

stop letting teenagers have these parties without having adults over 30 years old there. parents you need to be at these parties more than anybody else.sex between senors and underclassmates should mot happen anytime or anyplace. the lady that says she expects teenagers to have sex and gives birth control to her teenage girl and tells her sons to use protection . does this lady realize that not all boys wear protection when having sex.has she not heard of AIDS or other diseases caused by unprotected sex. i taught my kids about the dangers of having teenage sex. i told my son if he got a girl pregnant he would support the baby. there are laws out there we may not like but we as US.citizens any color or race have to obey. star athletes have people making excuses for them even when they may use drugs alcohol or other means to have sex . i'm sure there are girls out there who would like to go to parties where there is no sex allowed or going on. if these people have their lives ruined so be it they shouldhave known better.

fedupcitizen
fedupcitizen 10/27/05 - 03:32 pm
Maybe I didn't make myself

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I have not taught my children that it's ok to have sex. Furthermore, I have not only taught my sons that if they got a girl pregnant that they would support the baby and be a real father, I told them that they better be in love because they were going to marry the girl and provide a stable loving home for the child they produced. Also as I said, I have preached "sermons" on abstinance, responsibility and yes ladies and gentlemen, warned my sons that even in the event of consential sex the parents could still file statutory rape charges and they could go to prison. I have also given lectures on aids, STD's, etc. But if you think that stops premarital underaged sex then you live in a dream world. As far as my daughters, they are my step daughters, living in my house and they are treated as my children. I know where they are, who they are with and neither are allowed to date, much less go to anyone's house, party, etc. unless I'm with them every moment or I know for a fact and have the personal guarantee of the parents of whomever is holding the event that they will be supervised and safe. However, when the biological egg donor has them, I have no control so they received the same lectures. Do I think something may still happen? You bet I do. Do I pray every single day that it won't? You can count on it.

10/27/05 - 05:11 pm
Apparently, you are missing

Apparently, you are missing a part of the picture. No disrespect but a dictionary would clear this up for you in an instance. There are circumstances on both sides of the fence. It seems to me a lot of this is redundant. I honestly don't think that there was any rape. We have all had consensual sex at some point in time in our lives. We may never admit it and may not want anyone to know, but it has happened. Parents give their younger children too much freedom in todays society. Had it been my son/daughter, I would not have let he/she attend such a party where there was apparently no supervision. Teenagers of today think they know everything and we as parents were just born yesterday. My heart felt sympathy goes out to both, the guys and the girls and I know the parents are feeling the most pressure. But to the parents of the young men/women, we all want to raise our sons/daughters to be respectable young men and prim and proper young ladies but the bottom line is peer pressure overrules and instead of trying to point the finger at the individuals involved, take the time to talk to your sons/daughters about what happened and maybe they will realize what they done was inappropriate and this is a lesson well learned. Last but not least, put everything in God's hands and justice will prevail!

10/27/05 - 05:13 pm
Amen, Amen!!

Amen, Amen!!

freefly0036
freefly0036 10/27/05 - 05:14 pm
Hey can someone call

Hey can someone call Lifetime? May be they can make a movie of this situation. There is plenty of drama to go around.

When I was in high school (1997) I lived with my boyfriend who was 7 years older than me. I attened GH and no one ever threatened to put him jail or me for that matter. This situation sounds more to me that someone told their parent(s) and the parent(s) are pressing the issue. Hey may be this is just something that happens at GH and no where else? I think not. Get a grip people.

Bryt
Bryt 10/27/05 - 09:31 pm
I was in high school less

I was in high school less than ten years ago and things haven't changed too much. I was not sexually active until college but the basics of what happens when a mixed gender group gets drunk don't change no matter how old you are. I agree with some of the others that this behavior goes on in all schools, from Prep to Evans to Hephzibah to the Valley to Lakeside. Kids nowdays weren't disciplined like previous generations - their parents would rather blame others so they can stay their kids' buddy. Wouldn't want to hurt anyone's self esteem or anything like that. Besides, the girls couldn't drive so they had to be picked up at home by someone!?!

10/28/05 - 12:20 am
SIMILIAR CASE. I WATCHED THE

SIMILIAR CASE.
I WATCHED THE MONTEL SHOW 23JUNE2005. TEEN SEX THE SHOCKING TRUTH.
THE YOUNG MAN WHO IS NOW MARRIED AND HAS A DAUGHTER. WAS A GUESS ON THE SHOW TALKED ABOUT HOW HE WAS 16 YRS. OLD WHEN HE WAS ACCUSED OF SATATUTORY RAPE, AND A SEX OFFENDER WHO SERVED TIME IN JAIL. STILL TO THIS DAY HE HAS TO SIGN THE REGISTER AS A SEX OFFENDER. HE ALSO
SAID THAT WHEN HIS DAUGHTER GET OLDER HE WAS INFORMED THAT HE HAS TO
TELL HER THAT HE HAS TO REGISTER AS A SEX OFFENDER.I WISH THERE WAS
SOMEWAY TO CHANGE THESE LAWS.IT MAKES ME SCARED TO HEAR HOW THE LAW
PUNISH YOUNG MEN ABOUT SEX.I HAVE 4 YOUNG GRANDSON'S AGE RANGE FROM 2 YRS. TO 8. I FEEL THAT THE SENTENCING IS TO HARSH AND WRONG. I AM NOT SAYING THAT SEX AT A YOUNG AGE IS RIGHT.WHAT I AM SAYING IS THAT THE PUNISHMENT IS MEDIEVEL.LIKE BEING ACCUSED OF WITCHCRAFT,
PUNISHED BY HANGING, BECAUSE THIS CAN DESTROY A YOUNG MAN WHO MAY HAVE GREAT POTENTIAL IN LIFE. WHY NOT COUNSEL,AND EDUCATE THESE YOUNG PEOPLE.THIS GUY WHO WAS ACCUSED OF RAPE SAID THE GIRL SNEAKED OUT OF HER HOUSE AFTER HOURS AND WENT TO THIS YOUNG MAN'S HOME. WHEN HER MOTHER FOUND OUT WHAT HAD HAPPEN SHE BROUGHT CHARGES AGAINST THE YOUNG MAN SAYING THAT HE HAD RAPED HER DAUGHTER.NO CHARGES WAS BROUGHT ON THE GIRL.THE WORLD BOOK OF DICTIONARY READ
A SEIZING AND CARRYING OFF BY FORCE THE CRIME OF HAVING SEXUAL INTERCOURSE FORCIBLY AND AGAINST A PERSON'S WILL. THIS IS WHAT DIFFERNTIATE RAPE FROM CONSENT. SO MANY OF US HAVE FATHERS, GRANDFATHERS,OR SHELL I SAY ANCESTERS BACK IN THE DAYS WHO FATHERED YOUNG GIRLS 12 AND UP.WAS THEY CONSIDERED A RAPIST? DO THE PRIEST
WHO COMMIT THESE ACTS GO ON THE REGISTER? WHY IS IT JUST THE MALE
HAVE TO TAKE THE BLAME? THERE IS A GREAT NEED TO LOOK AT THESE ISSUE'S ALOT CLOSER. HOW CAN YOU HELP? HOW CAN I HELP? HOW CAN WE ALL HELP? MAYBE BY GOING ON THE WEB OR WRITING SUPREME COURT OF THE
U.S. REPORTER OF DECISIONS. ONE FIRST STREET,NE WASHINGTON, D.C. 20543

10/28/05 - 07:35 am
I don't get the race thing.

I don't get the race thing. My dad was in the army 26 years, i was in 11 and I find the race thing sad. People need to look past prejudice and grow up. these were kids. They were wrong without a doubt, but all were wrong. Black , white, red or yellow; they were wrong.I am 43 but I haven't forgot I was a kid at one time. My kids are 24, 21 and we have a 14 year old foster kid who is female. While I would be upset if one of them were involved in something like this I would not expect them to go to prison for decades in order to repent or rehab from stupid kid hormonal thought patterns.
I pray for all who are involved and believe at most this should be in family coourt not big people court.

10/28/05 - 07:54 am
it is clear that you are

it is clear that you are proud of your morally challenged lifestyle.If you have reproduced,i fear the future.

10/28/05 - 10:47 am
AMEN TO THAT....I TOTALLY

AMEN TO THAT....I TOTALLY AGREE WITH WHAT I JUST READ. I TOO USE TO DO THINGS IN MY EARLY TEENAGE YEARS I AM NOT VERY PROUD OF,THANK GOD THAT IS LONG BEHIND ME NOW I HAVE GROWN UP MARRIED,WITH 2 KIDS OF MY OWN, ONE OF WHICH IS A TEENAGE BOY AND I AM EXPECTING HIM TO USE TO CRAPPY JUDGMENT FROM TIME TO TIME IT IS A GIVEN. BUT COME ON ARRESTING KIDS FOR BEING KIDS THAT IS JUST STUPID. PERHAPS IF THE PARENTS OF THE KIDS INVOLVED WOULD HAVE CHECKED IN ON THESE KIDS IN THIS BARN TYPE STRUCTURE THESE ALLEGED ILLEGAL ACTS HAPPENED IN,NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED. IT IS A PARENTS RESPONSIBILTY FOR PUNISHMENT IN THIS CASE. NOT A JUDGE!!

10/28/05 - 11:04 am
Danny Craig, he is an up

Danny Craig, he is an up standing man isn't he. Upholding these "LAWS" you are speaking of. Let's not forget that Danny Craigs daughter pulled out in front of a car on Walton Way extention a few years back and her passenger DIED. Did her daddy Mr. Danny Craig send her to prison for manslaughter NO HE DID NOT! We never really heard what punishment she got,probably nothing more than having her cell phone and credit cards taken away,a driving class perhaps, unfortunately she might remember the accident for the rest of her life and her friends lifeless body in her car, but she never went to jail not for 1 day. That is a crime punishable by these "LAWS" he prosecutes for. So relying on Danny Craig for proper law enforcement is very questionable.

thereishope
thereishope 10/28/05 - 11:29 am
Augusta Chronicle Saturday,

Augusta Chronicle Saturday, October 22, 2005. Father questions rape charge

10/28/05 - 12:50 pm
jrlb_1 Maybe you should

jrlb_1 Maybe you should check the facts before writing things such as this. She is suffering and her entire family is still paying for what happened.

10/28/05 - 05:38 pm
Would that paying be jail

Would that paying be jail time or money? If his daughter can get off with not so much as a hand smack, then these kids certainly should. They didn't do anything any other teenager hasn't done in their life and if it was his daughter now, you wouldn't even know about it because it would NEVER make the news.

10/28/05 - 11:47 pm
Perhaps it would benefit all

Perhaps it would benefit all concerned if you armed yourself with facts instead of emotion.Danny Craig would probably love to see his daughter answer or even be aware of any charges.You see,quick one,his daughter is in a vegetative state,and recovery is unlikely.It pains me to even say this,but you are kicking a dog with four legs alrady broken.Feel bigger now?

10/29/05 - 03:00 am
Are you a COMPLETE and UTTER

Are you a COMPLETE and UTTER IDIOT?? Danny Craig CANNOT sentence his daughter to the punishment that I bet he WISHES that she were ABLE to have. Credit cards and cell phone taken away? She may never use these things again! You really need to research your FACTS buddy and quit being a low life JERK. His daughter had a traffic accident that was a mistake, YES, and HER LIFE has been thrown away as well. RESEARCH before you type such IGNORANT posts.