Promoter "astounded" by attention to whites-only basketball league

Don “Moose” Lewis’ attempt to start a white Americans-only professional basketball league has certainly received plenty of attention over the past week. Apparently, he wants more.

He told me Friday afternoon that he now wants to add an all-star game to the 2010 All-American Basketball Alliance schedule. He wants the best players from his all-white league to play the top stars from some other league - preferably, he said, an all-black league.

“We could call it Snow Ball vs. Bro Ball,” Lewis said. “It lightens everything up when you give it a name like that.”

If attention is what he wants, he’s gotten it. Since it first broke Monday afternoon on AugustaChronicle.com, the story has tallied more than 150,000 page views. Much of that traffic came from links posted on various Internet blogs on sites such as USA Today, Sports Illustrated, Deadspin and HuffingtonPost.com.

And it’s not just a story to be read. Thanks to the Internet, it’s also a story to chime in on. Combine Monday’s breaking news story, Tuesday’s online story and Scott Michaux’s column, and Augusta Chronicle readers have posted almost 500 comments on this one topic.

Whether you’re for it, against it or take a hands-off approach, it seems everyone has an opinion. My regular work has been interrupted this week with calls and e-mails from readers and fellow members of the media. I’ve fielded comments from Seattle to South America. It’s nothing compared to what Lewis himself has received. He said he even got a call about a possible reality TV show centering around the league.

“I’m astounded. I never in my wildest dreams anticipated the wildfire of interest,” he said Friday afternoon.

Really? Come on. You didn’t see this coming?

I’ve given this guy way too much attention already to continue on about his league (which is why this story is in my blog and not in print). But I will keep readers up to date on any plans he has for Augusta. Lewis, who voiced displeasure that Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver wouldn’t support his league, said he still intends to put a team here. He doesn’t yet have a coach or a venue, but the season isn’t scheduled to start until June.

I asked him how he could possibly still consider Augusta as a potential home. He pointed to a WJBF viewer poll online that, on Friday at 4:30 p.m., showed 60 percent (or 608 voters) thought the team is a good idea for Augusta and 40 percent (408 votes) didn’t think it was a good idea.

“See, people are smarter than you give them credit for,” Lewis said.

Credit is something many minor league teams around here seem to need a lot of lately. Smarts seems to be something they don’t have at all.

• Syndicate content
famished
famished 01/22/10 - 06:27 pm
I would like to know who

I would like to know who would be interested in coaching an all white basketball team and what players would be interested in plalying and also just how many people would actually attend such a disgusting event!!!!!

famished
famished 01/22/10 - 06:31 pm
I would like to know who

famished
famished 01/22/10 - 06:31 pm
I would like to know who

famished
famished 01/22/10 - 06:32 pm
I would like to know who

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 01/23/10 - 08:54 am
I don't see it as disgusting

I don't see it as disgusting or being racist.  When I watch basketball blacks have dominated the scene because they are really talented and put a lot of effort into their ball playing.  But the gangsta culture these players come from is very offensive to me.  I don't care for it.  So to see some talented white guys play basketball would be fun to see.  Just my point of view

animate
animate 01/23/10 - 10:00 am
Not racist? Let's run this

Not racist? Let's run this by everyone again. "Moose" wants an ALL WHITE basketball team. Augusta thrives on playing the race card and he knows it. Anybody heard of ASU? They've got quite a team again this year and the leading scorer is white,( not that it really matters), can't you go see them play? It's well worth the price of admission. What's next, Moose, you gonna get with Martha Burke and attack the National?

animate
animate 01/23/10 - 10:10 am
Not racist? Let's run this

WW1949
WW1949 01/23/10 - 10:38 am
Why fan the fires of racism.

Why fan the fires of racism. Let the best players play.

TheOne
TheOne 01/23/10 - 11:57 am
Because the idea would go

Because the idea would go nowhere without it.

TheOne
TheOne 01/23/10 - 11:57 am
Because the idea would go

Because the idea would go nowhere without it.

mtxbass1
mtxbass1 01/23/10 - 12:42 pm
Why are there not any other

Why are there not any other teams, no players on any of these teams, no sponsors, and no other cities involved in this "league"?  Where's the investigation into all of that?  This smells largely of a hoax or a sick joke to stir up comments.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/24/10 - 07:48 am
In actuality there are

In actuality there are leagues in the CSRA that have all blacks or whites already.

Pointcove is Riverman1

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 01/24/10 - 08:33 am
You folks can call this man

You folks can call this man and his plan "racist" all you want, but it doesn't take away the FACT that he is within his rights to establish one of these teams/leagues if he wants to.  The horse has been beaten to death about the black-exclusive groups (NAACP, Black Congressional Caucus, Miss Black America, the Black-Pages, etc.) that are allowed and accepted in today's world of shoving political correctness down people's throats.  It's interesting that when the shoe is on the other foot, how much people cry and moan about it being racist!?!?  If you take a step back and are honest about it, you'll see that the people who "created" these black-exclusive groups are the ones who paved the way for people like Don Lewis.  He's got a right to do it and there's not a damn thing you can do against it, except not show up for any of his games.  And, btw, if you do show up to picket the games, don't do it unless you can't stomach the idea of someone picketing the all-black events.  (For what it's worth, I personally don't think that this league will ever get off the ground.)

Junket831
Junket831 01/24/10 - 06:26 pm
Bucky, the issue is clearly

Bucky, the issue is clearly racist since it involves the exclusivity of one race vs. others. He wants to exclude members of non-white races in the league. He has the right to promote this idea all he wants. But he doesn't have a right to use public facilities or venues.

The NAACP and other similar organizations don't exclude membership from other races even though their mission is quite focused on racial issues. The Congressional Black Caucus while not officially excluding non-blacks from joining openly refuses to let others join and therefore is clearly a racist organization. It should be banned from official recognition in Congress. The Republicans threatened to do so when they were in power, but backed down for publicity reasons. I don't expect the current Democrats to kick the CBC out, but maybe a future Congress will do so.

If Lewis wanted to do this correctly he should say that his league is open to all races, but he will not tolerate certain behaviors or even certain types of play (i.e. street ball vs. team ball). His call for an all white basketball league is about as entertaining an idea as all minority hockey league.

Rebelbuyer
Rebelbuyer 01/24/10 - 07:15 pm
Hard to believe we are in

Hard to believe we are in the 21st century, isn't it?  As the great-grandson of a local klansman I can tell you that this is racist.  This type of ignorance can only be overcome with the conversion experience which Christ imparts to us in the regeneration of the carnal and hate filled human heart.  The word of God tells me that "All nations of men are made of ONE blood."  I am so gald that my parents were lovers of mankind in all of its variety and that the sickness of racism was not passed on to my brothers and sisters or myself.  A person can not believe in God or His word and hold views which support what is being proposed here. However, I do agree that a lot of behavior which some call ghetto, etc., is offensive but I see that crass and base behavior in ALL aspects of American life. If Blacks are responsible for the seeming degradation of "white/American  values" then who is responsible for the salacious TV programs and the filthy language of the movies, where immoral men and women play the roles of immoral men and women?  The Lord is soon to come and this type of diversonary tactic is the work of the enemy of souls, who knows that he has but a short time ,so he walks about like an angry lion seeking whom he may devour.  Unfortunately, many fall prey to these tactics which are as old as mankind itself.

Rebelbuyer
Rebelbuyer 01/24/10 - 07:18 pm
Hard to believe we are in

Rebelbuyer
Rebelbuyer 01/24/10 - 07:21 pm
Hard to believe we are in

born white without money
born white without money 01/29/10 - 01:38 am
Both parents worked two jobs

Both parents worked two jobs yet attended most of my basketball games. They consistently gave black kids rides home after practices and games. When I was in Jr. High my mom applied for a job at the state capitol for a job she was well qualified for within the revenue dept. A less qualified black woman got the job instead; to fill a quota. Reverse discrimination. Yet they raised a color blind son who judges people by their character. I was also the only white stater on the team and named captain by my black coach. I just thought of myself as a team player.

southernbythegraceofgod
southernbythegraceofgod 03/30/10 - 03:01 pm
It is interesting to note

It is interesting to note that when the movie "White Men can't Jump" came out, I saw no white guys protesting the movie in my southern town. Also, I never heard the NAACP raise one voice of protest that the title might be seen as promoting a detrimental racial stereotype. When Jimmy the Greek stated that he thought blacks had a different type of muscle design in the Achilles area, which helped them jump better, he was fired by NBC. Now that a white guy has basically admitted white guys cant jump as well as blacks, surrendering as it were the big pro court to blacks, we have cries of racism again. It's not that this is not basically racist, excluding others from your organisation if they are not of the same color. It obviously is.

What many white ppl seem to be upset about is the unfairness of continuing to allow certain black-only type thought processes, while not allowing the same for whites as a race. For example, why not dissolve black Miss America. go back to Miss America. Why continue to be called NAACP. Just say National association for the advancement of people. NAAP. If not, then why should a group called NAAWP be objectionable and considered racist?

Its because the media knows race issues sell papers and the government continues to make race an issue by their attempts at "fairness". An example is national crime stats. They group them by race, although they say the factors for criminal behavior are anything but racial. Instead, they use the word "cultural." Yet, they group hispanics with whites which changes the crime statistics of whites as a cultural group. Interestingly, during the last census, the place for race was white black asian or pacific islander or american indian and other. Eighteen million people checked other and place the word hispanic on the form, but they were grouped in as white. IE, although they considered themselves to be culturally diverse, and non white, they were grouped as white anyway.