Bill Kirby blogs Augusta history

Who put the 'garden' in Garden City?

Augusta has been known as the Garden City for as long as we can remember.

Anyone visiting our town this month would find the reason obvious.

The beauty of the Masters is known worldwide and reinforced every year when the lush television images are broadcast.

We proudly represent the state as the Garden City. It says so on all the signs.

But why?

Most credit goes to Julia Lester Dillon.

Mrs. Dillon was a rarity earlier in the past century -- a female landscape gardener.

She developed a reputation advising many Northern visitors who came down to enjoy Augusta's mild winters.

One day almost a century ago, Sidney Ferguson, a local banker, dropped by to ask Mrs. Dillon what she thought would be a good nickname for Augusta.

As the story goes, he told Augusta's famous gardener, "We're doing this promotion about Augusta and it should have a name."

Mrs. Dillon responded quickly, ``It's already named, for heaven's sake -- it's the Garden City of the South.'

Ferguson liked it. Took it back to the city naming committee, and everyone agreed.

Almost a century later, does the name still fit?

• Syndicate content
HillGuy
HillGuy 04/15/09 - 07:18 pm
Mrs. Dillon must be rolling

Mrs. Dillon must be rolling in her grave over how trashy the "garden city" has become.

TheGeorgian
TheGeorgian 04/20/09 - 01:44 am
Ah, but it CAN look like a

Ah, but it CAN look like a garden. All it takes is for each person to pull one weed, set out one plant or shrub...... The Power of One can make a huge difference.

dhd1108
dhd1108 04/20/09 - 06:10 am
more like the

more like the telephone/powerline city. or how about fast food city. parking lot city. the only gardens i know of are behind a wavy brick wall built by small minded corrupt politico wannabes

tstoney
tstoney 05/27/09 - 01:41 pm
Mr Kirby, This is not so

Mr Kirby,

This is not so much about the Garden City as it is to say I welcome the bringing back of Our Town. I loved reading John Barnes column. For a long time I never gave much attention to writers columns as  I became a fan of Mr Barnes. My loss I'm sure.

Then I discovered your column Mr Moore's column and then Mrs Coopers column. I must confess that I have become avid readers of all three. I almost cried when Mrs Cooper announced her retirement. I thought, well all good thing must come to and end. Sure miss her too!

But leave it to you newspaper folks to not let us readers down. The new one that replaced Mrs Cooper is almost as good as her. I'm certainly happy about that. Tell all those involved that I do enjoy ALL you folks columns immensly. Please keep up yhe good work.

tstoney
tstoney 05/27/09 - 01:44 pm
Mr Kirby, This is not so

Mr Kirby,

keithff15
keithff15 07/24/09 - 09:25 pm
i think Mrs. Dillon if

i think Mrs. Dillon if feeling a little sad, but however for a very nice garden you will be needing a good plan and also a good company like Chicago landscaping whick provides services for affortable prices