What would you do with lottery winnings?

My wife was up bright and early Wednesday to see if she won the big Mega-Million Lottery drawing.

She didn’t, but that's OK. One of the fun things about lottery expectations is secretly planning what you would do with all the money.

I know I’d try to buy a share of the Augusta GreenJackets. Maybe not a big share, but one large enough that they’d have to let me pinch hit every now and then.

I might buy one of the old movie theaters around town and show only movies I liked. I wouldn’t worry if ticket sales were low -- the profit's in the popcorn.

What about you?

If you had won that lottery the other night, what would you do with the money?

• Syndicate content
weekapaug05
weekapaug05 03/07/07 - 04:35 pm
I'd buy the Miller from Mr.

I'd buy the Miller from Mr. Knox, speed up the restoration, and turn it into a smaller version of the Fox Theater in Atlanta. Have broadway productions, films, music acts, etc. And then I would buy a cape and become a masked crime fighter!

Bill Kirby
Bill Kirby 03/07/07 - 04:38 pm
Not bad. Need a side-kick?

Not bad.

Need a side-kick?

upset in Evans GA
upset in Evans GA 03/07/07 - 11:43 pm
The first thing I would do

The first thing I would do after winning the "big one", would be to make lots of family and friends very happy!!!! Then give to my church, St Jude's, Samaritan's Purse, and several other local agencies. Then I would make myself happy: a house on the ocean, nice boat for my husband, a new SUV for me, a new conversion van for the family, but the most important thing of all would be knowing I can always afford my medicine, health care and always be able to pay my bills.

Bill Kirby
Bill Kirby 03/08/07 - 06:22 am
the health thing is

the health thing is important.

I worked for a man 20 years ago who sold his suburban Atlanta newspaper to the New York Times Co.

Got $40 MILLION for his share ... and died within five years at age 63.

Money doesn't do you any good if you're in another place.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 03/08/07 - 12:01 pm
Nah no side kick. You see

Nah no side kick. You see the problem with being a masked crime fighter is that not only are criminals after you, but the police are too. With a side kick that's just one more person that you have to worry about blabing their mouth and telling people that they work with some masked crusader. If hardened criminals or police get a hold of them then it jepordizes the entire operation.

Channing 100Proof 03/08/07 - 01:06 pm
I would set aside a few

I would set aside a few million for immediate family members that they could use for things like college and paying off house notes.

Then it's goodbye Augusta, hello tropical island paradise.

Email: channing100proof@gmail.com

Bill Kirby
Bill Kirby 03/08/07 - 01:08 pm
Sounds great! May I

Sounds great!

May I recommend something with genetically altered dinosaurs?

Connor Threlkeld
Connor Threlkeld 03/08/07 - 04:16 pm
Kiplinger's had a story

Kiplinger's had a story recently about an Idaho guy who is trying to buck the national trend of failing miserably at life after winning the lottery.

He won about $160 million ($85 million after taxes) and has a goal of turning it into $2 billion through investment and real estate deals before he retires. In the first year, he made about $17 million, so he's doing something right.

I noticed that he's single, so he only has one set of relatives demanding his resources and claiming to be related instead of two.

Back to the point, I would buy the Philadelphia Eagles and fold the franchise. Because I can't stand the Eagles. Then I'd take what's left and buy a surf shack in the Caribbean somewhere and just chill...

asoldier
asoldier 03/09/07 - 07:34 pm
I would retire in beautiful

I would retire in beautiful Hephzibah GA. I would give money to my church ,homeless shelters,and Golden Harvest. I would pay for my kids to have a good college education then sit back and watch my flowers and future grandbabies grow. I see no need to go running off to foreign countries. The real paradise is right here. So many people spend their lives looking for and dreaming of "the good life" only to realize too late that they had it all along.
Oh, but I would rent out the James Brown Arena then give away free seats for “Stars on Ice”.

sandra2004
sandra2004 03/10/07 - 11:50 pm
I would pay 10% tithes to my

I would pay 10% tithes to my church,be a blessing to the ones who been in my life though the good and bad times and give to charities. And for the ones that wasn't there when I needed them don't need to come knocking at my door.

dhd1108
dhd1108 03/12/07 - 12:09 am
it's after the fact but what

it's after the fact but what the hey.

I would buy those big huge ugly party houses that are being stacked one on top of the other across from the national and RAZE them.

After that I would offer Lowell Greenbaum a sizeable amount of money to shut his pie hole.

Then... I think.. I would buy the old city jail at 9th and reynolds and put up a "Junkman's Daughter's Cousin"
(google "Junkman's Daughter" if you dont know what it is.)

Finally, I would have Dire Straits play at my 'renovated' house party.

SheilaJ15
SheilaJ15 03/12/07 - 11:59 pm
I'd pay off all our bills

I'd pay off all our bills first, second I would give my children enough money they could pay off all their bills and buy new homes,etc, Then I would set up trust funds for all my grandchildren (9) and my one great grandchild for college & give each one of them something to live on while they were going. And if any of them didn't want to go to college, then they'd have to wait until they were 32 years old before they could get any money. Hopefully, that would encourage them to further their education. And last but not least, for fill my biggest dream by going to Australia to visit my best friend at least once before I die. And of course, by a new home and furnish it just the way I have always wanted to furnish a house.

zelda
zelda 08/15/08 - 07:30 pm
You have so lofty an

You have so lofty an idea!Great