Where Do We Bury James Brown?

Last weekend's funeral showed just how much attention Augusta gets from one of its favorite sons.

Like many, I guess I thought Mr. Brown would be buried with his family. Then before the funeral, we began to hear about a plan to bury him on his Beech Island property and turn his home into a tourist destination like Elvis with Graceland in Memphis.

Then this week we reported that many in Augusta wouldn't mind having the "Godfather of Soul" buried somewhere on this side of the river.

So what do you think?

Would a James Brown gravesite attract visitors like his statue on Broad Street? Or should South Carolina be the final resting place for its native son?

• Syndicate content
jenniann
jenniann 01/03/07 - 03:22 pm
Who cares whether Mr.

Who cares whether Mr. Brown's gravesite in Augusta would attract visitors [tourist money?] or not. This is not about dollars and cents for Augusta. IMO, it is about honoring a man who so obviously loved Augusta. For that reason, and that reason alone, I hope his family decides to let Augusta be Mr. Brown's final resting place.

amazed1
amazed1 01/03/07 - 03:31 pm
It is my understanding that

It is my understanding that James Brown was born in South Carolina and resided in Beech Island, S.C. How does that make Augusta his home?

mydtwc
mydtwc 01/03/07 - 04:18 pm
Bill I don't suppose what we

Bill I don't suppose what we think will ultimately matter much anyway. I just wanted to put a response to my favorest (good word huh?) writer in the Augusta Chronicle.

You're great man!!!

mcdaniem
mcdaniem 01/04/07 - 09:44 am
Augusta is the place, Mr

Augusta is the place, Mr Brown made it known he loved Augusta GA like no other. He never acknowledge S.C. as his home. It would be unfair to him if they give him up to S.C. unless that was his request.

medra
medra 01/04/07 - 12:03 pm
I am sure that Mr. Brown had

I am sure that Mr. Brown had a dream for where he wanted to be placed and how he wanted it to be done. I am sure he expressed his dreams to his family. And I think his family should carry out his wishes.

babydoll1
babydoll1 01/04/07 - 02:44 pm
HE NEEDS TO BE PLACES

HE NEEDS TO BE PLACES SOMEWHERE, WETHER IT BE IN SC OR IN GA. HIS HOUSE CAN STILL BE A MUSEUM W/O HIS BODY BEING PRESENT. EVEN THOUGH HE LIVED IN SC HE CLAIMED AUG. AS HIS HOME AND I THINK THAT THE MAN SHOULD BE PLACED WHERE HE CALLED HOME.

devaughny
devaughny 01/04/07 - 04:41 pm
"JB claimed augusta but he

"JB claimed augusta but he lived in SC". Jb should be buried where his home is...Pounder that and make an educated guess. ??????????????????????????????????????????????

gab91494
gab91494 01/04/07 - 08:44 pm
Does it really matter, I

Does it really matter, I mean come on, bury the man and get it over with. I am sure there are many people tired of hearing about it already, as am I, I understand the loss, but geeeeeeeeeesh it has been almost two weeks. If no one can decide where to bury him, just set his coffin on the front lawn of his house and leave it.

billiemgay
billiemgay 01/05/07 - 01:11 pm
I have never been so ashamed

I have never been so ashamed of a funeral in all of my life. I watched some of James Browns funeral, it was awful. First of all Al Sharpton has to be the rudest person I know. And the family's public snub of his wife at a funeral was just unacceptable. Now they are locking that woman and child out of her home. Leave it to the crookest lawyer in Ga. to knock a child and a grieving widow out of their home. That funeral was not the place for these people to snub this woman, (I don't care what she has done). It showed their in- consideration for that child and mother. They are acting like a bunch of hungry vultures that come out at a time like this. All of them should be ashamed of them self. He considered her his wife and that child his child. If they did not have a problem with it then, why are they now? Greed is all I can say. And I will give the devil his due, James Brown was a wonderful entertainer and has done a lot for music, as a role model for people, I don't think so, to have a building named after him, I don't think so. Look at the mug shots and you can understand why. Give him his dues for what he did for Augustans and music, But a role model. Give me a break. Bury the man with his family and lets call it quits. Quit making him out to be more than he was. There are a lot of fine people that have come from Augusta besides James Brown, and they don't come with mug shots.

Boston93
Boston93 01/05/07 - 05:45 pm
Bill Kirby, I think James

Bill Kirby,

I think James done some inappropriate things throughout his live, but so have most people. His interest and dedication to Augusta should not go without some praise.

I recommend or suggest burying him at three possible
locations:
1. The Golf Gardens on Reynolds Street.
2. The art structure across from the oldest black church in
Augusta across from the Golf Gardens on Reynolds Street.
3. On the River Walk near the river where the fountain is.
There is a open area after you go under the walkway that
could possibly be used and appropriate.

Billy Cooper
North Augusta, SC

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/07/07 - 07:09 am
Um, "we" don't get to

Um, "we" don't get to choose? The family does, so what is the point of this blog?

FALCON24
FALCON24 01/07/07 - 10:44 am
I think that it is amazing

I think that it is amazing that James Brown gets this much credit. I agree that he was a good entertainer, but I agree more with the person above that said that calling him a "role model" is laughable. Let's see... the police had to shoot out his tires in a police chase years ago, he was arrested for domestic violence, and you people praise him? I grew up in the area, and was never impressed with him, because I think it sends the wrong message to the youth if you do this, just because he was a good entertainer, and ignore his criminal past. Just bury the man, and let's move on. AL Sharpton, and Jessie Jackson were able to get their publicity, got to be on TV again, everything they wanted out of this situation. Bury him where he or his family chooses, and move on. Oh, and of course, I am sure Augusta will name 10 streets, 5 more buildings, and the YMCA after him as well.

behonest1
behonest1 01/08/07 - 12:03 am
Bill, does it really matter

Bill, does it really matter where James is laid to rest? I think not. There has already been to much praise for this man. Lets give him credit for what he did, including wife beating, stealing and running from the Police. He was not a hero, he was not a soldier and he damn sure wasn't a role model. You can call him the god father of soul if you want, but even that is overblown. Sure he did some good, giving away turkeys and toys but a lot of people do much more and don't have a civic center, street or statue named after them. He has recived too much credit. He was a hero of the black community, but so arn't Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton, and I would not want to shake their hands either. He didn't attract any real "stars" to his funeral that itself speaks volumes. Hell bury him in his back yard, like really who cares. People will stop going to his statue, and I am sure not many will visit his grave. Give the man his due... but he already has received more credit than he should have, and much at tax payer expense.

FLORIDAChild
FLORIDAChild 01/08/07 - 04:57 pm
Mr. James Brown should be

Mr. James Brown should be buried where all of his children could visit. It's sad that his all of them couldn't attend his funeral. Maybe this would give his other siblings closure. May God stay with his entire family. RIP "DAD"
Daughter in Florida

414331 01/09/07 - 12:12 pm
I think your right!

I think your right!

414331 01/09/07 - 12:23 pm
Thats not nice!

Thats not nice!

414331 01/09/07 - 12:25 pm
Your gonna pay for the

Your gonna pay for the comment,thats not nice!

414331 01/09/07 - 12:26 pm
So sad!

So sad!

billiemgay
billiemgay 01/10/07 - 03:18 pm
It wasn't meant to be nice.

It wasn't meant to be nice. It is the truth and everyone knows it. I am not bad mouthing the man, but the truth is the truth.

lexus985
lexus985 01/10/07 - 03:39 pm
Well, Buddy Dallas pretty

Well, Buddy Dallas pretty much owned him so let Buddy bury him in his front yard. I do not care if that is "not nice" I am allowed to voice my opinion as I please !! Al Sharpton probably was hired, he is rude as hell. Give Tomi Rae & "his" son what belongs to them. She put up with him all those years.
To the person that keeps posting "not nice" where in the hell have you been all these years, or were you in jail with him????

lexus985
lexus985 01/10/07 - 03:31 pm
And to the person that says

And to the person that says "You are going to pay for your comment" ---Is that a threat??? Shame on you...That is against the law..James would understand he was quite familiar with the law.

lexus985
lexus985 01/10/07 - 04:04 pm
MR. "414331" THIS IS A

MR. "414331" THIS IS A B-L-O-G..DO U KNOW WHAT THAT IS?? A PLACE TO VOICE YOUR OPINION. SO IF YOU DO NOT LIKE WHAT YOU READ, THEN DO NOT READ THIS BLOG. TRY READER'S DIGEST OR THE BIBLE..

ladymemeh
ladymemeh 01/11/07 - 01:58 am
YOU ARE EVER SO RIGHT. THE

YOU ARE EVER SO RIGHT.

THE FUNERAL WAS SAD.....
AND HOW COULD ONE TREAT A LOVELY YOUNG BOY AND HIS MOM THAT WAY?

HE WILL NEVER FORGET BEING MISTREATED, HIS MOTHER'S TEARS AND HIS FATHER'S DEATH.....ALL TIED TOGETHER?

THANKS FOR EXPRESSING THE TRUTH.

Da Voice Inside Your Head
Da Voice Inside Your Head 01/11/07 - 01:05 pm
I hope in the ground and

I hope in the ground and soon. He's probally starting to stink. Just like this whole affair. I like JB and feel like his hometown never gave him enough credit for all the things he accomplished in his career. I supported the move to name the Civic Center after him. But all the bitching and back stabbing going on within his family unit is TOOOOO much.If someone wrote a soap opera about this everyone would say no way!

Let the man rest in peace. And Soon!

Al Sharpton gives me a pain. He's a money grubber and a crook. I guess that's why he blends in so well In Augusta.