Been running lately?
The weather sure hasn’t been much help. It’s warming up, but unless you’re pretty hard-core, it’s tough to run in the rain. For indoor training, I have a stationary bike and an eliptical, having given away my balky treadmill. But there’s just no substitute for pounding the pavement.
What’s your choice for indoor training?
If you’re planning to take part in one of the area’s upcoming races, here are a few on the schedule:
• The Rock N’ Glow 5K to benefit Golden Harvest Food Bank will be held May 4 at the H. Odell Weeks Center in Aiken. Sign up through Thursday, May 2 at www.active.com .
• The second annual Miles for Giles Cross-Country 5K will be held 9 a.m. Saturday, May 4 at Blanchard Woods Park. Register at http://www.active.com/running/evans-ga/miles-for-giles-cross-country-5k-run-walk-2013
• The Run to the PBR Half-Marathon will be held at 4 p.m. Saturday, May 4 along the Augusta Canal. Register at http://www.active.com/running/augusta-ga/run-to-the-pbr-half-marathon-2013
• The Trot to Clot 5K for Hemophilia of Georgia will be held Saturday, May 4, at Savannah Rapids. Register at http://www.active.com/5k-race/martinez-ga/trot-to-clot-walk-and-run---augusta-2013
• The second annual Run for Shelter 5K will be held at Augusta Common at 8 a.m. Saturday, May 4. Sign up at http://www.active.com/walking/augusta-ga/2nd-annual-run-for-shelter-5k-2013
• The Shine Your Light 5K, a fundraiser for the Mexico mission team from West Town Community Church, 779 North Belair Road in Evans, will be held at 8 p.m. Saturday, May 4. (Yes, 8 p.m. - under the streetlights in the Northwoods subdivision.) Register at http://www.active.com/running/evans-ga/shine-your-light-5k-2013
• Action Ministries’ Walk for Others 5K will be held in downtown Augusta, starting at 303 Hale St., at 7:30 a.m. May 11. Call (706) 722-8195 for information.
• The annual Buzzard Blast 5K will be held at 8 a.m. May 11, starting at the Jefferson Hospital in Louisville, Ga. (I can’t wait to see the T-shirt for this one!) Go to www.buzzardblast.com, or register at http://www.active.com/running/louisville-ga/buzzard-blast-5k-and-fun-run...
• The VA2K, a national event benefiting homeless veterans, will be held at all Veterans Administration locations May 15. Contact Sheri Loflin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• A Jamaica youth mission trip fundraiser for Kiokee Baptist Church, the Jamaica’n Me Run 5K, will be held at Savannah Rapids at 8:30 a.m. May 18. Register at http://www.active.com/running/martinez-ga/jamaican-me-run-5k-run-walk-2013
• The second annual Armed Forces Day 5K will be held May 18 at Blanchard Woods Park in Evans (that’s a beautiful, but challenging, off-road 5K course). Sign up at http://www.active.com/running/evans-ga/2nd-annual-armed-forces-day-5k-2013
And, as always, let me know of any other future races you’d like to promote.
Let’s hit the road!