The Run for Boston 2.5 Saturday in Augusta, a fundraiser for victims and families of the Boston Marathon bombings, was amazing. Not just for the amount of money raised - more than $4,500 - but for the hundreds of runners who came together for the event.
Especially incredible, and moving, was the appearance from three area residents who ran the Boston Marathon: Dr. Mike Rogers, Barbara Rose, and Tina Stutt. It was incredibly successful, especially for an event put together on such short notice (less than a week after the bombings), and much thanks goes to Heather Dichickos and Christ Kane for putting it together.
If you missed it, you can still donate by going to www.theaugustamarket.com and clicking on the "donate" button.
Not only that, you have another chance to run Monday evening for the cause: Fleet Feet Augusta will hold a benefit 2.62 mile run (one-tenth of a marathon distance) starting at 6 p.m. the store, on Furys Ferry Road just off River Watch Parkway. The run is free, with donations accepted for www.onefundboston.org. Runners and supporters are asked to wear blue and yellow, the colors of the Boston Athletic Association.
• The ninth annual Glory Run, a fundraiser for the Alleluia Community School, will be held at the school at 8 a.m. Saturday, April 27. Register at www.gloryrun.net or http://www.active.com/running/augusta-ga/running-event---glory-run-2013
• The Girls on the Run Happy Pace 5K will be held at 8 a.m. Saturday, April 27 at the Kroc Center. Sign up at www.gotrcsra.org .
• The Anchors Aweigh 5K, a fundraiser for the Navy Day Ball, will be held 8 a.m. Saturday, April 27 at the Augusta Canal. Sign up at http://www.active.com/running/augusta-ga/anchors-aweigh-5k-and-fun-run-2013
• The Run to the PBR Half-Marathon will be held at 4 p.m. May 4 along the Augusta Canal. Register at http://www.active.com/running/augusta-ga/run-to-the-pbr-half-marathon-2013
• The Rock N’ Glow 5K to benefit Golden Harvest Food Bank will be held May 4 at the H. Odell Weeks Center in Aiken. Sign up through May 2 at www.active.com
And, as always, let me know of any other future races you’d like to promote.
Let’s hit the road!