Looking for somewhere to run these days?
With the number of 5K, 10k and other races growing, keeping up with all of them isn’t easy. While I try to monitor the upcoming races as best as I can through various Web sites, it’s also helpful to get tips from race organizers and participants – especially since many of them these days operate on a shoestring.
The ones that don’t spend the money to have signups through sites such as www.active.com can be a little harder to find, particularly when those organizers also seem less adept at getting notices out to helpful media (me included).
I’m hoping such fundamental organizational information will be among the things discussed at the planned race organizers’ summit, the date of which has yet to be determined. I’ll keep everyone posted as I hear more.
Speaking of dates, that race summit should also be useful in getting race organizers to stop tripping over each other by scheduling so many races on the same day. Currently there are at least seven races scheduled for April 20 in the Augusta area, and at least five more on April 27.
There just aren’t that many runners to go around, which means some of these events will have just a handful of participants and unlikely to raise much money for their causes. It seems pretty clear that what they were thinking is to avoid Masters Week, so April 6 and 13 were out – and viola, everyone had the same great idea to land on April 20.
That also means there are few opportunities for running in local races until then, however, so if you’re interested in those April 20 races, here they are:
• Billing itself as "Augusta’s fastest 5K" – because the course is all downhill – Rape Crisis and Sexual Assault Services is expanding its annual Take Back the Day Walk to a 5K race running from the Augusta State University campus to the MCG campus – what they’re calling GRU these days. Register at www.active.com/running/augusta-ga/take-back-the-day-5k-run--walk-2013?cmp=39-28--156210<cmp=194590<clickid=04_6323445_43e47070-1401-4486-b8fc-db818232efad&cmp=39-28
• The Augusta Chapter of the Delta Chi fraternity will hold the Jimmy Jog 5K, a cancer fundraiser for the Jimmy V Foundation, at the Augusta Canal. Registration before race day costs $25. Sign up at www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=2078574
• Immaculate Conception School will celebrate its centennial with the IC Centennial 5K through downtown Augusta. Register at http://www.ic5k.org/
• The fourth annual Miles for Melanoma of Georgia 5K will be held at Lake Olmstead Park. Get information at www.miles4melanomaga.org
• The Aiken Electric Cooperative Run United 5K and 10K will start at the Newberry Street Festival. Sign up at http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=2063171
• The Sherbert Punch Cancer Fight 5K (anyone have information on what this is all about?) will start at Brookfield Park in west Augusta. Sign up at www.active.com/running/augusta-ga/sherbert-punch-cancer-fight-2013?cmp=39-28--156210<cmp=194590<clickid=04_6306864_9626a344-eb76-45f1-8f10-1a9b9924f7b2&cmp=39-28
The Phinizy Swamp "Swamp Stomp" also is scheduled for April 20 in conjunction with their Earth Day celebration, but I can’t find any signup information for it. Shoot me a note if you know, and I’ll add it.
And, as always, let me know of any other future races you’d like to promote.
Let’s hit the road!