Did you run in the GRU-Augusta Half-Marathon or 10K?
A lot of people did. The race is by far the largest staged in the area, and grew tremendously with the addition of the 10K. Undoubtedly it would grow even bigger with a 5K component; the proliferation of those events is a good sign of the growing interest in entry level running events.
But for those who’ve already run a 10K or more, and who are looking for other challenges, the folks at Augusta’s triathlon club, TriAugusta (www.triaugusta.org ), are ready to help you take it to the next level.
Sandee Murphy is on the executive board of TriAugusta (think ESI IronMan) and head coach for Dream Team Youth Triathlon (www.dreamteamtriathlon.com ). Her folks point out that running is one of the three components of a triathlon, in addition to swimming and bicycling, so building up running skills is vital to victory.
We’ll publicize more of their activities in the future, but for now she’s hoping to spread the word about a five-week training program for participants in the YWCO Athens Kids Triathlon June 1. The first training session, focusing on bike skills, will start at 8:30 a.m. this Saturday, March 2, at the Columbia County Library in Evans.
This series will run through March 20, with the next training series set for April 20-May 18, finishing in time for kids to be ready to compete June 1. If you’re interested in signing up, signing up your kids or just finding out more information, email email@example.com.
If you’re not quite ready to step up to a triathlon – or, like me, you swim like a rock – how about a duathlon?
The Cloverleaf Duathlon – a two-mile run, 10-mile bike, and a two-mile run – will be held at 8 a.m. March 16 at Riverwood Plantation in Evans. Registration costs $40 for individuals, $60 for a team of two, and $70 for a team of three, with prices increasing $10 on race day. Register at any Family Y or at www.thefamilyy.org, or contact Shonna Sargent at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And, for those who just want to run, here are some upcoming 5K events:
• Heart and Sole 5K, downtown Augusta, Saturday, March 2:
• Strength for Sawyer 5k/One Mile Fun Run on March 9, Savannah Rapids. Search on www.active.com , keyword sawyer.
• Great Wesley Chase 5KRun/Walk and Fun Run on March 16, at Wesley United Methodist Church, 825 North Belair Road in Evans. www.wesleyumc.net .
• Beautiful Feet 5K run/walk on March 23, Savannah Rapids Pavilion. Search on www.active.com .
• Loop the Lake 5K, Waynesboro, Ga., Saturday, March 9: www.active.com/running/waynesboro-ga/loop-the-lake-5k-2013
Let's hit the road!