The Eagles? Please try again, says Uhles

A couple of weeks ago, The Chronicle's Steven Uhles asked readers what rock-era act most deserves the title of Great American Band.

This week, he weighed in on the most common choice of those who responded -- the Eagles. Longevity and massive record sales aside, they just weren't an original or especially interesting band, he writes.

To those who said Eagles: We invite you to explain the appeal.

Meanwhile, the default choice for Great American Band continues to be the Beach Boys. Unless you've got a better idea.

• Syndicate content
dhd1108
dhd1108 03/09/07 - 08:16 am
Creedence Clearwater

Creedence Clearwater Revival. I would've thought this would've been obvious. Swamp rock band that blazed in and blazed out in the typical American band fashion.

dhd1108
dhd1108 03/09/07 - 08:20 am
I would also accept Tom

I would also accept Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. An equally awesome band that unfortunately is known more for their music videos than their musicianship.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 03/09/07 - 09:47 am
The two above choices are

The two above choices are much better than the Eagles, but does this mean Slayer still has a chance?

ArmySarge
ArmySarge 03/09/07 - 01:07 pm
Those are good choices.

Those are good choices. Here is my choice, KISS. They are American, original, and they put on awesome concerts.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 03/09/07 - 02:07 pm
Oh my God do they put on

Oh my God do they put on awesome concerts. I saw them on their 53rd "final" tour and they blew me away!

erowell
erowell 03/09/07 - 10:44 pm
The Eagles Farewell 1 tour

The Eagles Farewell 1 tour was amazing! The areana in Greenville was sold out. Young and old fans enjoyed a wonderful evening singing and dancing to every song! The band's experience made the concert the most professional and smooth show I have seen. Don Henley. Need I say more?
My father introduced me to their music when I was a young child. The Eagles remain my favorite band!

Why did you ask the readers if you really didn't want their opinions? The people responded......you didn't like it...now you're going to dismiss their votes.....hmmm Career in Politics?

r67602
r67602 03/09/07 - 10:55 pm
OK my top 10 in

OK my top 10 in order.
1-allman bro.
2-ccr
3-doors
4-chicago
5-eagles
6-moody blues
7-fleetwood mac
8-c.s.n.y.
9-grand funk rr
10-tom petty

I saw chicago in columbia we. nite. AWESOME SHOW! can you think of a band that could play a 2 hour show and you know every song? incredible. the range of their hits is hard to top. from saturday in the park to colors to 25-6-4 to i'm a man. if you get a change to see them DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
rusty

mgroothand
mgroothand 03/10/07 - 10:28 am
All any rock fan needs to do

All any rock fan needs to do is buy, rent, borrow or steal The Eagles' DVD "Hell Freezes Over" to be convinced that they are the greatest ever American Rock band.

k9rocko
k9rocko 03/10/07 - 07:13 pm
Hello People! AEROSMITH!

Hello People! AEROSMITH! Come on, look how long they've been around, they wrote their own stuff, they came back from the dead to be as cool as ever. If you listen to their lyrics, they are pure poetry. Sweet Emotion and Dream On are complex and beautiful.

I must defend the Eagles, though. They are in no way lame. Did you see them on PBS? Their music and singing were great unlike some bands that try to sing their stuff 20 years later and cannot hit the notes.

And, here's a vote for Van Halen. Just wish they could have held together with Sammy.

mgroothand
mgroothand 03/12/07 - 09:36 am
Steve, the A/C Daily poll

Steve, the A/C Daily poll confirms my choice of The Eagles being the greatest!

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 03/12/07 - 09:46 am
Sammy Hagar is aweful, David

Sammy Hagar is aweful, David Lee Roth was the heart and soul of that band!

business owner again
business owner again 03/13/07 - 01:49 am
No question. The Eagles are

No question. The Eagles are by far the best American rock band ... and with a new album coming this year, they just keep getting better.

kaytee
kaytee 03/14/07 - 05:34 am
i love the eagles, they were

i love the eagles, they were a great band and on of my choices, and i also love van halen with and without sammy hagar, van halen had great music with hagar, its just popular in the movies to dislike the band without roth, who was a great lead man.

03/15/07 - 02:05 pm
Steve if you didn't want an

Steve if you didn't want an answer why did you ask? All one has to do is scroll down and count that the majority here say the Eagles win hands down. I don't think I saw one vote up there for your Beach Boys. And another thing what do you have against "Hotel California"? A classic American classic! One I still say Stephen King ripped off for his idea for his novel "The Shinning"
Uhles sometimes I wonder why I bother to read your narrow minded blah blah. Lets hear it people long live the Eagles America's Band!!!

mgroothand
mgroothand 03/16/07 - 08:58 am
Steve: Here is Webster's

Steve: Here is Webster's definition of music:
1 a : the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony.

Connor Threlkeld
Connor Threlkeld 04/19/07 - 11:21 am
That's what I'm talking

That's what I'm talking about. Uhles rips me every day for being a fan of Chicago. I was in Dallas 2 years ago when they did their tour with Earth Wind and Fire. Amazing. Good to know there's some rational people out there.

Griff_Wildman
Griff_Wildman 07/09/07 - 01:21 pm
Whatever happened to Kansas?

Whatever happened to Kansas? Come on, you've gotta love "Carry on, My Wayward Son", and "Dust in the Wind", right?