Remembering Charlie Norwood

Rep. Charlie Norwood lost his eight-year battle with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and cancer Tuesday afternoon at his home in Augusta. His passing has many throughout the area talking about his contributions to the community and national government.

Although a stalwart Republican, the former dentist enjoyed broad community support and popularity and was known primarily in Washington for his efforts to improve patients’ rights, in addition to broad reform initiatives in many areas of business and government.

The governor will set a date for a special election within the next 30 days to replace him.

Regardless of why you remember him, tell us about the effect you think he had on you and the community.

- Read the story: U.S. Rep. Charlie Norwood dies at 65

• Syndicate content
max47
max47 02/13/07 - 04:23 pm
Dr. Norwood was my dentist

Dr. Norwood was my dentist for many years.When you were in his chair he would assure you that all procedures would be painless and effective-and they were. Dr. Norwood was one of the most compassionate physicians I have known. When he wrapped those comforting arms around me,I put my full trust in him and relaxed. He also knew how to hide the needle from his patients to keep them calm. This community has lost a great leader.

I rememember seeing Dr. Norwood on stage with President Clinton in Augusta and he was very happy.

Maxcy Brown,Jr.

ciymon
ciymon 02/13/07 - 04:47 pm
Thanks Charlie! God Bless

Thanks Charlie! God Bless you! Mr. Norwood was always willing to listen to voters. He did not care if you were in his district or not, if you were a voter, you mattered to him. My grandfather retired for the Army Air Corp as a Lt Col. He was promised a nice retirement with benefits. When my grandfather died, the government wanted to reduce the benefits that my grandmother would receive. One call to Mr. Norwood and the problem was solved. My grandfather and countless others have served and will serve this country. Those that defend us deserve all that we can give back. Thank God Mr. Norwood thought so too! Rest in peace!

Proud American,
Proud Georgian,
Proud Voter,

Emily Harrison Dickey
Millen, GA

kerry52
kerry52 02/13/07 - 05:31 pm
Rep. Norwood's Family: I was

Rep. Norwood's Family:
I was with Charlie from the first campaign in '94. I have always admired and respected him. He was a 1st class representative for our community and a Congressman of which we could be and were very proud. My deepest condolences to his family and other loved ones. Charlie is home now and he fought the good fight.

Sincerely,
Kerry Leonard
Augusta, GA

eric stoner
eric stoner 02/13/07 - 05:43 pm
I'm a lifelong Democrat.

I'm a lifelong Democrat. Charlie was a Republican. But when we were together, that didn't matter at all. He was my dentist for over 20 years. He was my Congressman. But, most of all, he was my friend. I'll miss him very much.

Roy Chalker

johnwalraven
johnwalraven 02/13/07 - 06:24 pm
I held signs for Charlie in

I held signs for Charlie in 04 in August and was thrilled when he won. I remember his slogan: "Let's take back Congress!" Boy, was Congress taken aback by our Representative!

Charlie spoke to a group of College Student Government representatives when I served for our alma mater, Georgia Southern. He knew every detail about the Student Loan bill that was before the Congress. He blew everyone out with his knowledge. It was just another instance of him being in touch with the issues--and not just in a political, 30-second soundbite sense.

In campaign days for years thereafter, I recall seeing Charlie on the stump, commanding the crowd with real, meat and potatoes-type detail about legislation. Our voters want details. Charlie gave them to us. I'll never forget one image of Charlie in Dublin, GA, in a hot barn, wiping sweat off his forehead with a hanky and then sticking back in his back pocket as he continued on. Charlie served so many counties, as the Democrats kept changing the district lines. But new folks saw what we did in '94 and kept sending him back.

I visited Charlie's office in '05 to see if he'd be interested in helping remove federal red tape to let states save money and get more folks access to health care. His hardworking staff carried out his orders and when I thanked him, he said "don't thank me, that's what we're supposed to do."

We'll miss that maverick, The Honorable Charlie Norwood. There will never be another like him.

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/13/07 - 08:52 pm
Here is a highly-decoratd

Here is a highly-decoratd Vietnam combat veteran who came home, went back to civilian life, and had a long a successful life as a dentist, small business owner, and ultimately Congressman -- a fine family man and Christian. The next time someone tries to sell us the image of the homeless, crazed, drug-addled Vietnam vet, I am just going to refer them to Mr. Norwood. It is impressive how many Democrats have also chimed in with words of praise, but then this is the CSRA and we are all neighbors if not friends. Thanks to Congressman Norwood for his years of service and exemplary life, and great sympathy to his family.

greengold
greengold 02/13/07 - 09:41 pm
Dear Norwood Family, I am

Dear Norwood Family,

I am deeply saddened by the death of Mr. Norwood. My family's thoughts are with the family during this difficult time. Mr. Norwood was a beacon of light for the rights of the citizens of this country. He strived to protect us from the bureacrats on both sides of the isle. Mr. Norwood, we will miss you greatly. I hope the Norwood family draws upon the strength and love of the community in their time of need. We will remember him with respect and admiration and he will be missed by all.

God bless you for making us stronger,
Troy Green,
Evans

Signal Always
Signal Always 02/13/07 - 10:38 pm
I can't believe I'm having

I can't believe I'm having to write this. 65 is a very young age. Dr. Norwood was truly a great man. He was a man that didn't get into politics for money or prestige, as he had that right here. He went in because he wanted to make a difference. He was truly a rare breed, in my opinion. As a veteran of the United States Army, the military had no greater friend than Charlie Norwood. He was very accessible and a politician that actually listened to the concerns of his constituency, trust me, I know. He was also one that I knew would do the right thing. He was the type of person that you could send to Washington and leave alone, if need be, because you didn't have to wonder what his intentions were as his intentions were the same as ours.

Godspeed Captain Norwood, I salute you sir. Your shoes will be very hard to fill, if possible at all.

Thank you for your service to this country, this state, this community, and Ft. Gordon. Your dedication to the United States military will never go unnoticed.

Kevin Burns
Evans, Georgia

myusername
myusername 02/13/07 - 11:54 pm
Charlie Norwood was an

Charlie Norwood was an exceptional politician and served the CSRA well for many years. He will be missed.

I would love to see BOB YOUNG run for his vacant seat...

teresarbarnes@hotmail.com
teresarbarnes@hotmail.com 02/14/07 - 12:06 am
CONGRESSMAN NORWOOD GAVE

CONGRESSMAN NORWOOD GAVE VOICE TO PULMONARY FIBROSIS PATIENTS

The Coalition for Pulmonary Fibrosis (CPF) is deeply saddened by the death of Congressman Charlie Norwood (R-GA). We are grateful for his efforts to educate and inform Congress about the deadly disease Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF). The Congressman introduced the first legislation recognizing the disease in 2005.

Our condolences go to the Norwood family and his Congressional staffers in Georgia and Washington, DC, including James Paluskiewicz, John Stone and Thomas Worthy.

Efforts by the CPF and Congressman Norwood resulted in increased attention to the disease as well as Congressional support through simple resolutions.

With the incidence and prevalence of IPF on the rise with 150 percent increase in just five years and 128,000 people affected, these dying patients desperately still need support. About 40,000 people will die from IPF this year alone.

As a physician and an IPF patient, Congressman Norwood realized fully the value of research that may someday lead to treatments and a cure. In Georgia, such research is underway by Jesse Roman, MD, Director, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy & Critical Care Medicine and Director, Emory Center for the Treatment and Study of Interstitial Lung Disease.

Lung transplantation is currently the only life-saving treatment option IPF patients have. With a median survival of just three years, most patients don’t live long enough to get one. And, of those who do, complications are common. There is no FDA approved treatment, no known cause and no cure for IPF.

Congressman Norwood introduced the first bill in Congress in 2005 to recognize IPF and the extreme need for awareness, education and research funding.

The CPF and its membership are grateful to Congressman Norwood for his willingness to discuss his condition publicly and raise awareness of this dreaded disease. He has been such a source of inspiration and support for patients and families around the country. We hope our continued work on Capitol Hill will honor his legacy.

Teresa Richardson Geiger
Vice President, Patient Outreach & Advocacy
Coalition for Pulmonary Fibrosis
8127 N. 37th Street
Brown Deer, WI 53209
888-222-8541, ext. 702
tgeiger@coalitionforpf.org

n71dj@bellsouth.net
n71dj@bellsouth.net 02/14/07 - 09:25 am
Many of us "Aspire" to do

Many of us "Aspire" to do things, Charlie Norwood "Perspired" after he had completed the task. I served with Charlie for many years working for our profession and have followed and supported him since he entered the political arena to continue the fight for patients rights. His shoes will be difficult to fill.
Congress has lost a great Congressman and the International College of Dentists has lost one of its' most respected Fellows.
Donald E. Johnson, DDS
International President, ICD

jpostonsr
jpostonsr 02/14/07 - 01:50 pm
Charlie Norwood made a

Charlie Norwood made a difference. Thank you for sharing him with us.

reesieposs
reesieposs 02/14/07 - 09:26 pm
Congressman Charlie

Congressman Charlie Norwood's passing is a tremendous loss to our area. I never met him personally, but at the time when Social Security was dragging its feet on my disability claim, he and his office really got the ball rolling, and within no time, I was approved. In a process that can take forever, when victims are with no means of support, they made such a difference, in a caring and compassionate way.
My heart goes out to his family.
Reesie Poss
Warrenton, Georgia

uscfan
uscfan 02/15/07 - 07:56 am
In politics as in life, the

In politics as in life, the good die young. That low life Bill Clinton will live to be 100 !

BETTYCOLE
BETTYCOLE 02/15/07 - 03:29 pm
Dr Norwood was my dentist

Dr Norwood was my dentist for years. My daughter was his dental assistant, so we knew him well. He was a wonderful man and a caring human being. I feel so sad to think he is gone. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to his wife and family. God bless you for sharing him with us all these years. He will be greatly missed!!!

8 horses loose on I-20

Eight horses that got loose from a nearby pasture and briefly wandered along Interstate 20 were safely rounded up Monday afternoon.