Your thoughts: Schrenko pleads guilty

Former Georgia school superintendent Linda Schrenko pleaded guilty Wednesday to fraud and money laundering charges. Ms. Schrenko agreed to serve eight years in prison as part of a plea bargain.

In court Thursday, she further testified she was talked into her misdeeds by others.

What are your thoughts on the Schrenko case?

• Syndicate content
05/10/06 - 10:54 am
I think she saw the

I think she saw the handwriting on the wall and took the easiest way out. 8 years beats 20. I wonder how much time she will actually serve?

05/10/06 - 11:03 am
A true Republican!

A true Republican!

PTDefender
PTDefender 05/10/06 - 11:04 am
All during the trial, did

All during the trial, did you notice that in her television interviews, she tried to put on a calm and assuring face?

It is actually quite a shock, just the fact that Ms Schrenko was able and capable of doing what she carried out as a representative of a public office. I think this should be a wake up call to all registered voters to not only vote, but do as deep a research of the candidates as is possible.

05/10/06 - 11:22 am
I've never been so

I've never been so disappointed by a person as I have been with Ms. Schrenko. She is a disgrace to all who know her and to all who trusted her.

May every day of her eight-year prison sentence plod by as slowly as possible.

05/10/06 - 11:23 am
I knew her over ten years

I knew her over ten years ago and that person was so different than the person she appears to be today. I wonder what happend to her or in her life for her to take a different and very unexpected route. I also wonder what her daughter thinks of the situation and if she believes her Mother is guilty. There is obviously too much evidence to state otherwise. It would be very interesting to have her daughter speak on Austin Rhodes one day, just to "have a look inside".

05/10/06 - 11:26 am
This is so disturbing. The

This is so disturbing. The guilty must pay the price, but I really thought better of her. She is a disappointment to womankind and the people she represented.

05/10/06 - 11:33 am
I believe, under Federal

I believe, under Federal guidelines, that she must serve 90% of her sentence. I feel sorry for she...she made very bad decisions but I believe Merle Temple took advantage of her and this whole thing started with him. She should not have gone along with it so must stand the consequences but I believe that he put her on this road.

05/10/06 - 11:42 am
Another one bites the

Another one bites the dust!!!!!!!

05/10/06 - 11:50 am
She made poor choices and

She made poor choices and now must accept the consequences.
Wishing for more hurt to be added is a sign that others have deep rooted issues in their own lives.
We will all stand in HIS presence and have to answer for our shortcomings.
If her conviction and time in prison prevents others from doing the same thing, perhaps, just perhaps she has served a purpose.

05/10/06 - 11:50 am
I hope she is made to serve

I hope she is made to serve the entire 8 years. Children needed that money and she should have to pay for what she did.

05/10/06 - 11:59 am
This is just another case of

This is just another case of a female being used by a group of male political crooks for their own gain. The bottom line, as usual, greed, power, and ego! It sickening that she will be the one who spends the time in jail, while the ones behind the whole plan go unscathed and on to plan the next injustice!

05/10/06 - 12:05 pm
I am disgusted by the

I am disgusted by the chronic Republican corruption that seems to grow worse each day. Republicans are evil human beings - every last one of them. They cannot be trusted to govern because they are fundamentally corrupt people. Every single day the list of convicted Republican felons grows larger and larger. Democrats may have a few bad apples, but ALL Republican apples are corrupt to the the depths of their darkened, Satanic souls. They preach "Christian" piety to get elected by the ignorant masses, and then they steal, rob, and commit awful crimes. It happens every time.

May Linda Schrenko rot in prison like like the despicable criminal she is - and may all Republicans face the awful justice they deserve.

05/10/06 - 12:07 pm
People like Linda Shrenko

People like Linda Shrenko need to realize that they are not above thw law. Stealing should never be tolerated on any level. I hope she enjoys her $600,00 vacation.

05/10/06 - 12:51 pm
What is wrong with the

What is wrong with the conservative christian right. Are there any out there with a soul?

05/10/06 - 01:07 pm
She’s just another name to

She’s just another name to add to the long list of crooked political figures’ that came from the Augusta area. I’m sick of it and you should be too…

05/10/06 - 01:10 pm
Democrats are just as evil

Democrats are just as evil spirited as the Republicans and the Liberals. Every Political Party has it's "bad apples" as you quoted. Don't let the wrongdoings of certain individuals leave you with the same impression for the rest of that particular party. Democrats have their fair share of injust people and as you put it, "evil human beings". If you want a list just as long as the Republican list, I can provide that for you. Democrats support gay rights and abortion. Is this Christian or Constitutional? Is this non-evil? And to correct you, "Satanic Souls" are souls that worship the devil and follow satanic rituals. So make sure you choose the correct words to further accurately describe your thoughts and opinions. Now for convicted Democrats, they choose to run for office again and show their faces yet again where they were scorned. You won't find Republicans making the same mistake twice or even ask for the opportunity to do so. The Republican Party won't support anyone that has been convicted again, the Democratic Party will, time and time again.

hockeymann
hockeymann 05/10/06 - 01:35 pm
This has nothing to do with

This has nothing to do with Republican, Christian, or Right, etc.
She made a very bad mistake(s). She should pay for it. Merle Temple
should also pay with time in prison, along with any others involved.

I would have thought that five years in prison would be enough to
affect Ms. Shrenk's life severely. Looks like it'll be 6 or 7 at
least though, per the plea.

Democrats who seem to want to latch on to this as some type of "Republican" thing, are really grabbing at straws to try to salvage their desperate political situation. Plenty of demos are
in trouble with crooks, running barricades under the influence,
hitting policemen who are doing their job in checking security risks, or drowning young women off the Massachusetts coast. We
don't need them preaching to Republicans.

05/10/06 - 02:09 pm
I spent a number of years

I spent a number of years trying to work with Schrenko and her henchmen at the DOE. She surrounded herself with ignorant true believers who had little to no real classroom experience. They made decisions, not based upon what was best for our students - nor on the basis of what the research shows works in schools...

Rather they made decisions for our children on the basis of their politics and what would benefit their friends and cronies. (Frighteningly similar to the way in which GW has run our nation.) Just because you want something to work or believe it should, DOES NOT mean that it will. At some point you have to deal with reality.

Schrenko was an embarrassment to Georgia and caused 8 years of damage to our educational system. It is only fitting that her sentence matches her term in office.

05/10/06 - 02:10 pm
She did the crime but

She did the crime but unfortunately she won't be doing the time she deserves. She cheated the children of this State out of their funds and should be locked away for a much longer time than 8 years.

05/10/06 - 02:13 pm
Politics is an equal

Politics is an equal opportunity destroyer. Heads Up to all individuals in either party who consider their constituents fools!

05/10/06 - 02:38 pm
I AM IN DISBELIEF OF ONE

I AM IN DISBELIEF OF ONE CERTAIN REPLY. I AM A REPUBLICAN AND IN NO WAY AM I CORRUPT. SINCE YOU DO NOT KNOW EVERY SINGLE REPUBLICAN ON THIS PLANET, YOU HAVE NO JUSTIFICATION TO SPEAK OF REPUBLICANS IN SUCH A BROAD, JUDGEMENTAL WAY. IF LINDA SHRENKO WAS A DEMOCRAT, I'M SURE YOU WOULD NOT HAVE SUCH HARSH THINGS TO SAY ABOUT DEMOCRATS. THE PARTY SHE REPRESENTS SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY THE PRICE FOR HER INDISCRETIONS. SHE DID WRONG AND WILL HAVE TO FACE THE CONSEQUENCES. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR WHAT SHE DID; MEDICATIONS OR BEING "UNDERNEATH A MAN'S CONTROL". SHE HAS A MIND AND SHE MADE A CHOICE. I WOULD LIKE TO FEEL ANGRY TOWARDS "STOPBUGGINGME", BUT ALL A CAN FEEL IS PITY THAT YOU HAVE SO MUCH HATE IN YOU. YOU GIVE DEMOCRATS A LOVELY PERSONA!

1313 05/10/06 - 03:19 pm
I guess its a good thing

I guess its a good thing Merle didn't tell her to just go ahead and shoot Sonny and avoid the primary. Please! This grown woman was in charge of the state school system, running for governor of this state and Merle made her do it?? I'm sure Bill would have remained as pure as the driven snow if it wasn't for Monica. It always has to be somebody elses fault. Pills? Merle? How about a natural born criminal and a stupid one at that. Good riddance.

1313 05/10/06 - 03:46 pm
If only Charles Walker and

If only Charles Walker and Robin Williams had thought to get a sex change- then they could blame their jail time on those nasty male political crooks too- It just couldn't be her own fault could it? She knew what she was doing and she did it.

05/10/06 - 04:24 pm
I agree with you 100% but

I agree with you 100% but I'am sure the Chronicle will figure out some way to blame this on the Democrats.

05/10/06 - 04:44 pm
People who live in glass

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Who made you holier than everyone else?

jhuran
jhuran 05/10/06 - 05:25 pm
She was not only over her

She was not only over her head in that position,it went to her head.She was more interested in image and self service than public service.Theres a lot of that going on amoung Columbia and Richmond County politicos.

LBenedict
LBenedict 05/10/06 - 06:11 pm
That judge should not have

That judge should not have accepted the plea. If I were the judge, a)let her [filtered word] rot in prison, b)at her own expense and without a security detail, have her personally go to all the families who cannot get services due to "lack" of funds and say, "I'm part of the problem", or c)have her pay a $1million fine then serve 2500 real hours of real community service, and then she can do the 8 years. That's just me though. Yes I know, people serve 3,6,9 years for killing somebody. But, this yahoo was in charge/responsible for the education of our kids and was in a position to make so many generations of families better off. But she chose the screw you attitude and use her position as a launching pad for another. Screw er' and may she rot along with her cohorts!

CAPSGAL
CAPSGAL 05/10/06 - 07:04 pm
A true case of a female with

A true case of a female with a little power going nutso. And then to blame it on pills, men, whatever....if you're gonna be stupid then you gotta be prepared to pay the price.

And no, I'm not a male chauvenistic pig...I'm a realistic female.

05/10/06 - 07:06 pm
Bye Bye Linda! I quess there

Bye Bye Linda! I quess there is no chance in getting the money back now? Since you can't get a refund on her face lift.

05/10/06 - 08:19 pm
HA HA HA....I guess that

HA HA HA....I guess that means that all democrats are adulterous liars.

Clemson halts mandatory student sex survey

CLEMSON, S.C. - Clemson says it has suspended a mandatory survey of students the school says was part of a review to prevent sexual discrimination, harassment and assault.