I _________ the Masters

You fill in the blank.

When you think of the Masters Tournament, what comes to mind? Traffic gridlock? Rude visitors? A city gone mad?

Or the thrill of competition at arguably the world's best golf tournament? Not to mention a huge economic influx?

Hate it or love it, tell us how you really feel. (And remember, we're talking about the tournament and its impact on the city, not about the Augusta National Golf Club.)

• Syndicate content
03/31/06 - 11:42 am
don't care about I don't

don't care about

I don't like golf, even before I lived in Augusta I never watched or really followed the Masters. I have lived in Augusta since 2002 and other than not going grocery shopping that week because prices seem to mysteriously double and eating out it doesn't really affect my daily life or routine.

I think it is good for local business because it means a boost in sales, the traffic can be a little frustrating but overall I think it is a profitable event for the Augusta economy which is good for us all.

Each generation will reap what the former generation has sown. Chinese Proverb

A dagger can be concealed in a smile.
Chinese Proverb

03/31/06 - 01:37 pm
I {don't care one way or the

I {don't care one way or the other about} the Masters..... The road I come into town on is out of the way. I don't work anywhere near the main traffic lines. I've lived in Burke County since 1966 and still haven't been to the infamous tournament. Everybody says "You have to go just once". "If for nothing else but to see the 'beautiful' course". NOT... if I want pretty I just have to drive down the main street of Waynesboro where the people are friendly and even the dogs can cross the street safely.

Long live Small Towns!

03/31/06 - 02:10 pm
CARE ABOUT THE

CARE ABOUT THE MASTERS..BECAUSE IT MAKES AUGUSTA FUNNER TO GO OUT TO THE CLUBS DURING THIS TIME.

04/01/06 - 12:22 pm
I never understood the

I never understood the Masters tournament. All year ignorant rednecks complain about rude "yankees," and then they embrace every piece of crap that comes into town no matter how condescending they are. They clean up this town once a year for complete strangers, but what about the other 51 weeks? I think it's good for Augusta's economy, but you also have to see the irony in the situation. Theses people would never dream of coming to Augusta if it wasn't for the Augusta National.

yankeegirl
yankeegirl 04/03/06 - 03:09 pm
laugh at the Masters. It's

laugh at the Masters. It's the only thing that Augusta has going for it, and it rains every year. Who was the brilliant person who decided that April in Augusta is a good time for a golf tournament?

I wonder if they will change the course if Tiger wins again this year....?

Boston93
Boston93 04/04/06 - 09:07 am
I've loved the Master's for

I've loved the Master's for many years. Locals getting tickets are near impossible, but I understand the economy function of getting others into our area and the possibilities that could come with their being here. On the other hand, the practice round ticket program is out of balance as the practice round program of ordering has fallen into the same program as the seasonal tickets. Can't get them either. Prior to the ordering of the practice round tickets, I realize the traffic problem that had developed. I sent in a letter to someone (don't recollect right now) that if they really wanted to help the local businesses, they should establish a system where established quantities of daily tickets would be sold the day prior to each practice round at certain selected (malls, large stores,
etc.) Once they are sold out, only the number of vehicles and/or people would be able to show up without creating traffic/crowd jams.
Once all tickets were sold at our local businesses, it would appear that a certain amount of ticket seekers would roam each of the businesses and spend money and help them out with the extra possible customers. I lost interest in trying to get practice tickets via the mail system that is determined by others that could and may make sure their friends get tickets and again you fall to the wayside.

Billy

Honden
Honden 04/04/06 - 11:39 am
(Unless you have a financial

(Unless you have a financial stake in the masters week madness) Just what is there to like about increased traffic and prices in the general area? ( That's what goes through most of our minds when "Masters week" is mentioned )

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 04/06/06 - 12:15 am
not a sheep
not a sheep 04/09/06 - 04:17 pm
I [think this town would pee

I [think this town would pee its pants if] the Masters [tournament ever moved somewhere else].

It's such a huge deal, and it's sickening. The whole town gets cleaned up in March - trees planted down roads, trash picked up, mowed grass on main streets - all so people from out of town will believe Augusta takes care of the way it looks. And almost everywhere you go, there are what I call "Masters douchebags"- people who sit on the side of high-traffic roads with giant signs saying they need Masters tickets. People around here say stuff like "You goin' to the Masters?" or brag that they're going.

NO, I'M NOT GOING TO THE MASTERS. I THINK WATCHING GOLF IS BORING, AND JUST BECAUSE I LIVE HERE DOESN'T MEAN I HAVE TO PRETEND TO LIKE IT. SHUT UP.

NEone
NEone 04/09/06 - 04:22 pm
I personally don't care

I personally don't care about the Masters, but every town has its thing, and I guess the Masters is it for Augusta. If it takes a golf tournament to get the trash picked up and grass mowed, then I'm all for it. Once a year is better than nothing.

stillamazed
stillamazed 04/10/06 - 08:09 am
I think that the Master's is

I think that the Master's is OK, I'm not a golf fan, I personally think it is boring, but a lot of people do love it and I respect that. It is great for our economy which is a positive thing and when you go out to eat during Master's you get treated better (because they probably think you are here for the Master's). However, I think that the southern charm, friendliness and customer service that is extended to the "Master's Crowd" should be extended to local residents year round. After all we are the real backbone of the local economy yet most of the time when we go to local businesses to spend our money we are treated with bad to so-so service. What's wrong with that picture? Perhaps locals should demand Master's treatment year round.

'Do not swim' order remains in effect for Savannah River

A "do not swim" order for the Savannah River will reamin in effect while officials await lab results of an oily substance found in its waters Sunday.