Celebrating Dr. "Curly" Watson

Dr. W.G. "Curly" Watson of University Hospital's Women's Center has delivered an estimated 15,000 children during his career that began in Augusta in 1947 and continues to this day. In honor of his 96th birthday The Augusta Chronicle wants to know your memories of Dr. Watson.

Did he deliver your child? Do you have a funny story you would like to share? This is the place to do it. Selected responses will appear in the print version of The Augusta Chronicle.

• Syndicate content

Comments (11)

TCB22
TCB22 02/23/06 - 11:44 pm

Dr. Watson delivered me and

Dr. Watson delivered me and both of my sisters back in the 1950's and then delivered all of our children (total of four boys between the three of us) in the 1980's. He is still my doctor and I love him so much. He's been like a family member to all of us and I will always cherish my memories of him through the years. Godspeed and Happy Birthday, Dr. Watson!

02/24/06 - 09:33 am

I think the better question

I think the better question is, "Who didn't get delivered by Dr. Watson?". If it wasn't for him my oldest would not be here. Thank God for him! Happy Birthday Dr. Watson!

02/24/06 - 04:36 pm

M. Price. Dr. Watson

M. Price. Dr. Watson delivered 8 children, and 10 grandchildren for me.He,s the best doctor ,and the kindest man I know. Happy Birthday, and God Bless you Dr Watson.

02/25/06 - 03:18 am

I was born in 1948. Dr.

I was born in 1948. Dr. Thurmond was my mother's Physician but Dr. Watson was on call. My mother has told me that Dr. Watson sat by her bed all night until I was born. Nineteen years later, after I finished a medical secretarial course, I went to work for the group Dr. Watson worked in. I was only there a short period of time as my husband went into the service so we moved. We came back about 2 months before my baby was born, since my husband was leaving for a new overseas duty station. I chose Dr. Watson as my physician and he told me, my baby was breech but didn't think I would have any trouble having him. I went into labor early morning on April 8th,
1970. My sister in law who was visiting from out of state, road me
all over Aiken and Graniteville with a friend, in a volkswagen
bumping me every which a way hoping it would help things along.
Then she made me walk. I stayed in labor but not active labor all
night and at 5 in the morning, I had, had enough so Dr. Watson was called and we went on to the hospital - the OLD University
Hospital. Of course back then, they did all of wonderful joys of prepping a patient - nothing like it is today. After being there
for 12 hrs. it was decided I needed a C-section since I
wasn't dilating and my baby was breech. So that's what happened and
I had a healthy 8 lb 13 oz round fat faced baby boy who is now 35
yrs old and his friends call him "stick" because he is so skinny.

I also have had the opportunity to work Labor and Delivery after I
recieved my RN license. Every morning when we took report, Dr
Watson would come in and say good morning with banana in hand.

Thank you Dr. Watson for all these years of dedication to your
profession and for delivering my baby safely and healthy.

Bonnie Mundy Cox

02/27/06 - 03:40 pm

Dr. Watson delivered me in

Dr. Watson delivered me in 1944 and he delivered my three children. When I had my 3rd child Dr. Watson would bring me the Augusta Chronicle every morning. I had difficulties with my first two pregnancies and I credit Dr. Watson with seeing that I was able to deliver healthy babies. Happy Birthday Dr. Watson!!!

02/27/06 - 08:00 pm

Well I am a fortunate one. I

Well I am a fortunate one. I am one of Dr. Watson's grandchildren as well as one of the 15,000 babies he delivered. Unfortunately my husband's occupation has taken me out of North Augusta and I haven't been able to celebrate this birthday with our family but I am so very proud to call Dr. Watson my grandfather. I wish him many many more happy birthday's and I hope to see him soon! We love you Papa Doc!
Kacie, Nash & Kale

02/28/06 - 10:53 am

I was one of the 15,000 to

I was one of the 15,000 to be deleivered by Dr.Watson,along with my two sisters and one brother from, 1952-1957.He got the pleasure of deleivering two of us the same year,10 months apart.He also was responsible in giving ," my parents ,information on ,"where babies come from".He also deleivered my two in the 70's.He was always a pleasure to visit and full of himself when we talked.On the day after my second child, he sat on my bed and told me ,he felt like a grandfather.Knowing that he had been my grandmothers doctor,my mothers doctor and my doctor, he had earned more than the right to be a grandfather, he was a trusted famuily friend."Happy Birthday,Dr.Watson,you have earned them all and have given us ,so many more to celebrate.
Cookie Garland Ellington

klines
klines 02/28/06 - 10:08 pm

Happy Birthday to Dr.

Happy Birthday to Dr. Watson. He delivered me, my three sisters, three brothers, my three children and many of my nieces and nephews - eighteen of us in all! During visits he would always ask about family members and always remembered things about them...I wondered if he had little "cheat notes" in my file! :) I am so thankful that he has been a part of my life.

03/02/06 - 11:17 pm

Happy Birthday Dr. Watson

Happy Birthday Dr. Watson -- You delivered our three sons
in l949,'53 and'55 and later we had a girl in Kentucky. You
always asked their dad if he wanted a tractor driver or dish-
washer and he finally got her. Thanks for being such a special
doctor and friend and you are remembered with lots of love.
We have been blessed with a wonderful family. God Bless you and
yours.

wwjd
wwjd 03/05/06 - 03:38 pm

Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday Dr.Watson
Dr.Thaxton was out of town and you were on call when I gave birth to my baby girl on May 6th 1986. She will soon be 20 years old, and is now going to colledge to be a pediatrition. I want to thank you for making the delivery as comfortable as possible. You have been a great inspiration to Augusta Georgia and other states, I'm sure. I wish Augusta would consider putting a statue of you in our community. Thank You Again for everything.
Terrie Lamb

skinny206
skinny206 02/25/08 - 08:20 pm

Happy 98th Birthday

Happy 98th Birthday Dr.Watson Dr Watson Delivered My Son Mark Anthony in June 1991, and he also delivered Mark Anthony Father Mark, and Mark Anthony 3 Uncles. They all were delivered by doctor watson, and I am very greatful for him honoring my wishes for to deliver Mark Anthony. Thank You Very Much! Lisa S & Mark A