Meybohm Realtors' roots stretch back more than 100 years.
The area's largest real estate company was founded in 1905 by William A. Garret as Southern Finance Corp.
The company's business included real estate, commercial loans, mortgage loans and insurance.
For many years it was housed downtown in the Southern Finance Building, now known as the Lamar Building.
The company's modern roots trace back to 1977, when E.G. Meybohm purchased the residential sales division of Southern Finance Corp. after working his way up in the company from a sales associate to sales manager.
The name change was made in 1980.
Meybohm Realtors has expanded since then, acquiring several brokerages and opening new offices.
The company now has seven locations: west Augusta, Columbia County, south Augusta, North Augusta, two Aiken offices and a new homes office in Evans.
In 2006, the company cracked Realtor Magazine's Top 100 Companies in the nation, placing 94th, and was ranked second in the nation for agent productivity.
E.G. Meybohm continues to lead the company.