WHERE IT ALL STARTED
The original location of The Chronicle was on the east side of the 200 block of Centre (Fifth) Street, next door to James Fox's tavern. This would be one building north of Ellis Street on the east side of Centre (Fifth) Street. A Georgia Historical Marker is there.
Between the late 18th century and the 1841 City Directory, several locations are mentioned. Some of these might have been business locations, with the printing plant elsewhere.
1785: 200 block Centre (Fifth) Street
1802-10: "Near the Market"
1809: Broad Street "near opposite the Market place on the south side."
1810: South side of Broad, between Mr. Nesbit's new brick building and Messrs. Hutchison and Wilde's law office.
1825: 215 Broad St. (Currently the 700 block)
1827: 292 Broad St. (Currently the 700 block)
January 1829: McIntosh Street (Seventh)
October 1829: 207 Broad St.
1831: Corner Jackson (Eighth) and Ellis streets
1834: Back of the Globe Hotel, which was at the southeast corner of Broad and Jackson (Eighth) streets, so likely the same as in 1831.
April 1834: Broad Street, "under the Globe Hotel."
1835: 261 Broad St., "opposite the Masonic Hall," therefore on the north side of the present 700 block of Broad Street.
1837: 261 Broad St. (This is the year The Chronicle became a daily paper.)
1839: 209 Broad St.
1840: Broad Street, one door west of McIntosh.
IN ONE PLACE FOR A WHILE
Beginning with the 1841 City Directory, and including all of the extant city directories until 1886, The Chronicle seems to have been at the same location. The original address was called 210 Broad St., which was apparently the approximate location of today's Miller Theater, and perhaps part of the next building to the west.
By 1887, it seems to have been in the same building, but the entrance was considered being in the back, from Ellis Street. Augusta street addresses were changed in 1880 to comply with the block designated by newly numbered cross streets, and 210 Broad St. became 706 Broad St., with the back end of the building designated as 709 Ellis St.
1841: 210 Broad St.
1845: 206 Broad St.
1851: In the Georgia Railroad Bank Building
1859: 210 Broad St.
1861: 229 Broad St. (Perhaps a typographical error in the directory, as the location was back at 210 Broad St. in 1865. It is possible there was a temporary move that was reflected in the 1861 directory.)
1862: Broad Street, office in Augusta Bank
1865: "Over 210 Broad Street"
1865: Broad Street, "opposite Augusta Bank"
1872: 210 Broad St.
1877-79: North side Ellis Street, west of McIntosh
1880-84: 709 Ellis St.
JUST A FEW DOORS DOWN
The Chronicle moved to a new location on the south side of the 700 block of Broad Street on March 20, 1885, and remained there until a fire destroyed the building Aug. 27, 1892, though it continued to be listed in the 1893 directory at the old location.
This building was a few doors down from the previous location. It was 265 feet long and 50 feet wide, three stories tall.
A stationery store was on the Broad Street level, and the press and composing rooms were entered from Ellis Street. The president's offices were on the second floor, and the editorial and composing rooms were on the third floor.
After the fire, the structure was replaced by the Montgomery Building in 1893, which also burned in 1899 and was replaced by the second Montgomery building. It is now 716-720 Broad St., (next door to the east of the Dorr Building, now the City Club).
1885-93: 716 Broad St.
The new Chronicle Building was completed on the site of the present Marion Building by August 1892, and the offices moved there after the fire at the previous location.
About 1904, the addresses in the 700 block of Broad Street were adjusted, and 727-729 Broad became 739 Broad St., though the location of the Chronicle office did not move. That building was razed in 1913 to make way for a new Chronicle office building, now called the Marion Building. It was completed and occupied by the Chronicle on Dec. 1, 1914, though the newspaper continued to operate in the rear of the property during the construction.
The building was gutted in the March 22, 1916, fire, necessitating a move to 737 Ellis St.
An 1894 photo of the completed new building appeared in a publication of photographs of buildings and places of interest in Augusta called The Art Work of Augusta .
The Chronicle's operations relocated after the fire to the former printing plant of Richard & Shaver at 737-739 Ellis, in the rear of the Harison Building. It remained in this location until another fire in 1921.
1895-1903: 727-729 Broad St.
1904-1915: 739 Broad St.
March 23, 1916: Augusta Chronicle to move to 737 Ellis St.
The printing plant was moved after the Nov. 26, 1921, fire to the former American Ice Cream Building (another source says it was the former Coca-Cola building) at 118 Seventh St. Briefly, The Chronicle moved its business offices to the former Planters Loan and Savings Bank building on Broad Street, east of the Georgia Railroad Bank, on the north side of the 700 block.
The Planters Bank merged with Citizens and Southern National Bank in 1921, which eventually reincorporated this building into its original location, to the west side.
Today, this is the central portion of the former Citizens and Southern Bank building at the northwest corner of Broad and Seventh streets. It is owned by Morris Communications.
1923-1925: 705 Broad St.
BUSINESS AS USUAL
It appears the business offices moved to the same location as the printing plant on Seventh Street by 1927. This is the present location of the Wachovia bank tower's garage. The Chronicle's building occupied the ground where the southern half of the present parking deck is located.
1927-1949: 118 Seventh St.
ONE LAST MOVE
The final move of The Chronicle to date was to its present location in the News Building at 725 Broad St. This was built as the Augusta Herald Building in 1917. The Herald and The Chronicle began merging operations in this building Jan. 1, 1949, and The Chronicle bought the Herald in 1955. It was at this time that the Herald Building was renamed the News Building.
1950: 725-31 Broad St.
-- Historic Augusta research