Reviewing and previewing local college basketball:
Garret Siler. The Augusta State sophomore center will shatter William Adair's school season record for field-goal percentage (.613). Siler has converted 138 of 200 field-goal attempts and currently leads all three NCAA divisions with a 69 percent clip.
USC Aiken men. The Pacers lost their eighth game in nine outings when they blew a 13-point lead in the final five minutes Wednesday night to North Georgia.
Outgoing Peach Belt commissioner Marvin Vanover received Titleist and TaylorMade drivers and a customized golf bag in farewell stops around the conference.
Augusta State and USC Aiken will play in the Peach Belt Tournament, starting Wednesday in Greenwood, S.C. Paine will play in the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Tournament, starting Wednesday, in Birmingham, Ala. Aiken Tech will hold the Region 10 Tournament, which begins Wednesday.
RANKING THE MEN'S TEAMS
1. Augusta State (22-4, 15-1). After their loss Wednesday at Clayton State, the Jaguars need to play well in the Peach Belt Conference Tournament to earn that No. 1 seed in the regional.
2. Aiken Tech (21-7, 14-2). Knights shot 11-for-18 from the foul line in a one-point home loss Wednesday to Coastal Georgia.
3. Paine (17-9, 15-7). Lions have some major frontcourt issues to address in off-season recruiting.
4. USC Aiken (9-20, 3-12). Pacers looking forward to a new start in the convocation center next season.
RANKING THE WOMEN'S TEAMS
1. USC Aiken (18-8, 10-5). A win and a Clayton State loss today will give the Lady Pacers a share of the conference title.
2. Paine (16-11, 14-6). Can the Lady Lions bring home a third SIAC Tournament trophy?
3. Augusta State (17-8, 9-6). The Lady Jaguars need to make a deep run in the conference tourney to have any shot at an at-large bid in the Division II Tournament.
- Chris Gay